• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Electrical Hum From Tranny...

...The harness may be OK for the time but, knowing what its really like I'd never feel happy on a trip wondering if this time would be the time I got stranded...

...I envy you your patience and ability...

GerryAttrick, I understand that feeling and I definatley know that it is not pleasant!

But believe me, I was impatient at one point or another! haha

Which ever route you decide to take, best of luck!

Frank

Wiring Harness was out to get me.

Wiring Harness was out to get me.

Well, here I was all proud of myself! Bullet proof wiring harness and Contour purring like a kitten again. I thought all was well and managed to get dad to take it into air care for me so I could get it relicenced again.

Went through AirCare and FAILED:nonono: and immeditaley after a DTC popped up with the engine light, guess I should have driven it more to have a couple complete driving cycles and save myself the 47 wasted dollars.

Pulled the Code, it was for the Cat. Checked the pre and post o2 sensors, both were identical in the switiching. Cat was toast.:mad:

I can't believe this cat lists for $800 Aftermarket!:cry: Pulled the old Cat out and it melted into ong big blob letting all the exhuast gases conveinentally pass around it. Man, that Harness was out to give me one last kick in the pants i'm telling you! In Retor Spec I should have had it towed the 5 - 7 blocks, but by the time i realized what was going on, it was mostly likely already too late.

Removing and Installing the new cat was actually rather quite simple. straight forward bolt out, bolt in. Only took about an hour and a few beers or case, can't recall, lol.

But this EGR tube is being a vain attempt on my exisitance! I would love to vent about how angry it is making me, but it would either get me banned or just sensored beyond recogniztion.:crazy: Suffice it to say, It is driving me crazy. The pipe is very ridged and to get the proper angle to thread it in is rather tedious. After the holidays I will be back at it with avengance. My plan is to cut the pipe, thread it in, and solder it back together with the hottest temp solder I can find.

Man just when I thought I had it all! Not to mention Mom's Jeep (42re transmission) is acting up, I adjusted the bands to spec and now it shifts perfect, except if you're start off from a dead stop and punch it, it'll slip before enganging harshly, same goes for making left turns:shrug:. Any Ideas... Not the right forum, but doesn't hurt to ask i suppose.

Where is the cat mounted on your Canadian Zetec? Is it built into the exhaust manifold like the US models or is it downstream a ways and under the car like the European models?

If it is part of the exhaust manifold you are very limited on what is available. You may be stuck with your Ford dealer as a source, but it is possible that it is available aftermarket. Look around to see. Check with muffler shops and smog shops.

Also if it is part of the exhaust manifold a possible way around your problem is to mount a cat under the car, like where the main cat is on the V6 models. These are much more readily available. To turn off the check engine light you will need MIL eliminators. A good healthy cat further downstream will still clean up the exhaust more than enough to get you through a smog test. Technically speaking, the only downside is that it may be a little dirtier during engine warmup until the main cat heats up.

...Where is the cat mounted on your Canadian Zetec? Is it built into the exhaust manifold like the US models or is it downstream a ways and under the car like the European models?

It is part of the exhuast manifold, I was thinking about putting on mandrell bent exhuast header and adding a after market cat like you had advised downstream, but i didn't feel like modding or have the time to:cry: . And getting a shop to weld up custom pipes would cost me about 300 anyway.

Back