• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Contour SVT Pace Cars (build #'s 7,8,10)

boumacj

Hard-core CEG'er
I have been in some talks to try to buy at least one of the original three CSVT pace cars used in the Detroit Grand Prix and other events over the years (they are build numbers 7, 8, and 10). I offered them $7,500 per car (initially $5,000 per car). It has been a long process but in the end, I was told they wanted a minimum of $25,000 per car......my response was part laughter and part irritation as this has been going on since April. I was hoping to get these cars back out in to the public eye by doing a mini group buy with other CEGers but in the end it looks like they will rot away and be forgotten. It's hard to imagine, but it is what it is.

I have been in some talks to try to buy at least one of the original three CSVT pace cars used in the Detroit Grand Prix and other events over the years (they are build numbers 7, 8, and 10). I offered them $7,500 per car (initially $5,000 per car). It has been a long process but in the end, I was told they wanted a minimum of $25,000 per car......my response was part laughter and part irritation as this has been going on since April. I was hoping to get these cars back out in to the public eye by doing a mini group buy with other CEGers but in the end it looks like they will rot away and be forgotten. It's hard to imagine, but it is what it is.

What collection of nitwits thinks these cars could be worth that kind of bread? Wow. I like the cars, and can appreciate a small premium that special distinctions can bring, but let's get real here.

I give you credit for stepping up to the plate and offering real money. :cool:

Do you have any pictures of any of the Pace cars?

25K is outrageous...:nonono:

make the saleen contour a great deal then doesn't it :laugh:

ok lets think about this, looks like they where painted, had some safety modifications done, wheels, etc, maybe very low miles, although maybe abusive ... I can see why they set the price they did but it is to high

make the saleen contour a great deal then doesn't it :laugh:

ok lets think about this, looks like they where painted, had some safety modifications done, wheels, etc, maybe very low miles, although maybe abusive ... I can see why they set the price they did but it is to high

But these cars most likely run well unlike the Saleen. LOL If Saleen fixed it up, dropped a fresh 2.5 and a supercharger on it then I can see someone maybe buying it.

So we know where #6-10 are now but where's #1-5? Hmmmmm

I know that #4 was for a sale a little while ago. I don't really think I should even be saying anything about it but there was someone who was going to buy it, but (s)he didn't get to it in time...

So instead of selling them they are going to get crushed? Makes a lot of sense. Sure treat a unique set of SVT's like Chicken McNuggets.:nonono: :mad: Could you post some specs on the as well to see why the asking price? LOLerskates.

i dont mean to brag or anything, but if the saleen contour is still for sale in a year and a half to two, I WILL GET IT! :) i'll rebuild the motor n call it a day. That way, it keeps its value a lil bit. i hear its been roughed up a bit, but nuthn that can't be fixed or replaced right?

I'd assume mileage is under 5K, custom PPG paint, brakes, wheels, safety gear (full cage, lights), suspension work. So a example with 13K miles just sold for $10K, I'd say this is worth at least $12-14K.

$25K is a bit of a stretch.....

I'd assume mileage is under 5K, custom PPG paint, brakes, wheels, safety gear (full cage, lights), suspension work. So a example with 13K miles just sold for $10K, I'd say this is worth at least $12-14K.

$25K is a bit of a stretch.....

That makes sense, and I completely agree, although I think 15-16k could be agreed upon. If I had the money I'd toss in 15k :shrug:

i dont mean to brag or anything, but if the saleen contour is still for sale in a year and a half to two, I WILL GET IT! :) i'll rebuild the motor n call it a day. That way, it keeps its value a lil bit. i hear its been roughed up a bit, but nuthn that can't be fixed or replaced right?

Yes and no. From what I have read, the bumpers are cracked and chipped so you would need to do some custom fiberglass work and then paintwork. Also from what I have heard the engine really doesn't run all that well and they guys who drive it in and out of the garage say it is just a PITA...not only that but they removed the supercharger completely so you would need to buy one to make it like how they originally had it.

Contour SVT - $19,500
BBS RX wheels - $1,100
PPG Paint - 3,000
Supertrapps - $400
Suspension (Koni/Eibach) - $1,000
Fuel Cell & relocation - $750
Safety equipment - $1,500

Sub total - $27,250
Low mileage allowance (10%) $29,975

Depriciation - ($19,500)

Net $10,475 Absolute maximum value. Really, the cars are only worth what someone else will pay for them. The $7500 offer should have done it. I would be nice to know the actual condition of the cars. Is the wear and tear commensurate with the mileage, or have they been abused and unloved with long periods of hibernation.

I'd consider paying $8987.50 if they are in very good shape needing nothing more than a trip to the "compound" and an oil change.

Yes and no. From what I have read, the bumpers are cracked and chipped so you would need to do some custom fiberglass work and then paintwork. Also from what I have heard the engine really doesn't run all that well and they guys who drive it in and out of the garage say it is just a PITA...not only that but they removed the supercharger completely so you would need to buy one to make it like how they originally had it.

IIRC the cracks are in the front bumper which I seem to recall being CF.

Back