• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

RPMs staying high - 98 SVT

SurrealSVT

CEG'er
I noticed driving today that my RPMs are staying high, infact, climbing while shifting. When I depress the clutch, the rpms will jump a bit, stay there (where ever the tach is at that time) for a few seconds, drop to 2k then drop lower, slowly. I'm talking, it takes 5 or more seconds to drop down to idle (which has now climbed to 1000rpms)..

Any ideas as to why this is happining?

Mike

yes i had the same thing. when shifting or coasting in neutral mine went up to 4K! TH fix is a dream come true. also take off your Idle Air Control (IAC) spray some brake cleaner or carb cleaner in it. if you think its bad replace it. the inside should be clean looking. they do get dirty over time though.

I had the same problem a while ago. Cleaning my IAC was the solution. If you try cleaning your IAC with carb cleaner or brake cleaner, let it dry, and then spray some type of lubricant in there like seafoam, pb blaster or WD40. The parts inside need to be lubed after a good cleaning.

Had same problem with my 99 CSVT--it was idling around 1200 rpm. I cleaned and lubed the IAC, but it didn't work and ended up buying a new one from O'reilly for $44. Now it idles properly. However, even with the copper pipe moosing fix, the throttle still takes around 5 seconds to drop to 650-750 RPM.

Back