• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Need help finding the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) on CD4E

Rynn

New CEG'er
Title says it all! I've ordered the part (And a MLPS) from Bill Jenkins, but I'm having trouble finding the VSS. My wife's speedometer on her 1998 Mystique (Zetec 2.0) is not working at all and I suspect the VSS is the culprit. From a thread I found (http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=1816&highlight=speedometer) it says:

- Remove your air cleaner & tubing.

- Reach down, under the brake booster, and locate the VSS connector. You can actually see it better from the bottom, just no way to actually reach it from there. It will take some serious single handed twisting to disconnect this connection, but don't give up!

(Edit - I hope this guy isn't talking about the TSS near the driver's side wheel, because I remember changing that on my 98.5 Contour, and that definitely isn't the VSS. Is he still right, and I'm still not looking in the right place?

I have no idea what the brake booster is - Is that the master cylinder? Also, even from the bottom I can't see where the heck this part is. Does anyone have a picture of this part while it's on the CD4E so I can tell what I should be looking for? And which side of the tranny is it on - drivers or passenger?

Any help would be much appreciated! I'm expecting the part tomorrow or Thursday, and the wife would like to not get pulled over without a working speedometer!

Last edited:
Wait, is this it? It's in the rear of the tranny on the driver's side:

vss1.jpg

vss2.jpg

Back