• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Turbo Zetec Dyno

striker2

Official CEG Vendor
ok i finally got a picture of the dyno plot. as you can see something is not flowing enough air up top. Hector thinks its the 2.5" downpipe. i think its not helping but i dont know that its the main contributer. i think i have either some collapsed lifters or i have maxed out the cams (after looking at several foci running almost 300HP on stock cams im starting to believe the cams themselves are not the problem).

Picture004-2.jpg

I bet its the cams, that power band is extremely similar to that of a stock zetec motor, just on a much higher level. I think its just the way the cams are tuned on the stock head because you get "lower" end torque/power that way. Get a better cam, I bet your power band will go much higher.

in the process of replacing my LCAs (that sucked) i removed some of the intercooler piping. one of the pipes i removed was the BOV pipe. when i take it out i notice that the snap ring was not seated all the way. so i reset the snap ring and finished installing my LCAs (did i mention that sucked). during the test drive at WOT it is no longer running at 10-11:1 and it feels like it has more power up top, although it does start to lean out a little (12.5:1 so im not worried yet). i guess it was just enough of a leak under boost that i wasnt getting all the air into the manifold even though the gauge still read 10PSI :shrug:

i need to get a few things done and then i will start slowly turning up the boost. then i need to find a dyno in the Kentuckiana area.

like i said, if someone can find me some cams that work with the hydraulic lifters or can tell me what it takes to convert to solid lifters of use of the focus cams im all for new cams.

Seems you have plenty of exhaust side pipe diameter.

What filter you running?
What MAF?
I wonder how much valve overlap there may be on that engine you have...
How much timing is being pulled?

What filter you running? right now its a generic cone filter. it was the only one i could find easily with a 4" outlet. K&N will be ordered eventually.
What MAF? Lightning 90MM
I wonder how much valve overlap there may be on that engine you have... factory valve train so whatever it is from the factory.
How much timing is being pulled? not sure. ill see if i can find out though. i know he went pretty aggressive on the tune cause its only 10PSI right now.

I think it partially has to do with the cams BUT I still think 2.5" all the way back is limiting power up top.

sorry to jump in mid conversation. Since everyone seems to be poking at the cams and exhaust. why not start out with the exhaust it certainly couldn't hurt and sounds like the cheaper and easier way to fix the problem. If its not the problem, that then you have gained something in the process and now know what the problem is.

Hope that helps...(even if the grammar sucked)
-Devan

well nothing is going to happen immediately anyways. i would like to figure out what is doing the most "damage" and fix that but until i can figure out a way to determine exactly what it is (exhaust, cams, lifters, etc) im not replacing anything. i dont like just throwing parts at a car in attempts to fix it.

also i have seen numerous dynos of foci with stock heads and cams and 2.5" FULL exhaust (downpipe and exhaust) with the same turbo at 10PSI and are making more power. they hit about 230WHP. thats just enough that i cant write it off as the dyno. i would like to get back on a dyno after i get the few little things done before i up the boost or make any other changes though.

Evo- 2.0L turbo with stock 2.5" piping.....optimal exhaust piping size-3"
Contour- 2.0L turbo with 2.5" piping......optimal exhaust piping size-?????

Similar huh?:laugh:

nah, Evo has AWD :D:D

im not saying its not optimal but i think the 2.5" exhaust is good for more power.

Evo-2.0L with stock 2.5" exhaust 280HP. hmm i think the exhaust isnt hurting that much :D:D:D

thats still at least 225HP at ALL 4 WHEELS

im only at about 230HP at the crank

my calculations assume 20% drivetrain loss for the AWD and 13% loss for the FWD

Any head work done?
Stock valve size?
Stock intake manifold?

If so, I'd say 230 crank HP is very good and about all you're going to get.

There are plenty of cams for hydraulic lifters, it's just that they're located in the UK (Weber makes some, and I think there's 2 other companies).

I've done some pretty exhaustive searching for cams over the past couple of months and I've come across two companies that make cams for earlier zetec's with hydraulic lifters: Crane Cams and Comp Cams. Below are links to PDF's on the Crane Cams website and the Comp Cams website. The comp cams are the same ones Zex sells (same company only rebranded). The ZEX cams are available on ebay :laugh:.

Crane Cams PDF

Comp Cams PDF

I've spoken with a Comp Cams tech support person and he said that the cams will work with our earlier Zetec's however we may need lashings?? to make the cams fit or we may need to grind the bucket?? of the head to clear the lobes of the cams. Of course I don't really trust what this guy told me because he said I could get 15-20 HP out of the cams :). I call BS on that.

I've also got a link bookmarked (on another computer) to another page that lists all cams from different manufacturers for Zetec's. I'll get it and post it later. After all was said and done, I decided to stick with stock cams for a flatter torque curve. Since my car is my daily driver (and automatic) I didn't want to give up my bottom end.

Cheers.

Any head work done?
Stock valve size?
Stock intake manifold?

If so, I'd say 230 crank HP is very good and about all you're going to get.

There are plenty of cams for hydraulic lifters, it's just that they're located in the UK (Weber makes some, and I think there's 2 other companies).

the entire upper end is stock. im not worried about the intake manifold, the pre98 one is the best flowing one from what i have read and there are plenty of guys making over 300HP with the stock intake manifold. same with the valves and cams. now idk if Ford changed anything with the head to improve flow in the later zetecs but again i have seen several foci and ZX2s with STOCK heads, cams, intake manifolds hit 300HP.

yes they were running more than 10PSI, i would say they averaged about 18PSI on similar turbos, but according to what i have seen i should be able to get more than 230BHP out of the stock upper end.

as for cams made for hydraulic lifters, I dont know about you but i sure as HELL am not going to pay thousands of dollars just for a set of cams to keep the hydraulic lifters. what i really want to know is what does it take to convert to solid lifters. if it requires changing the head then it will wait longer. if its as simple as installing the solid lifters with cams and lash caps then it will happen sooner.

Back