• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Waterpump housing

genesis14

CEG'er
Hey there, Has anyone seen or heard of the waterpump rear housing springing a leak?

If you haven't, mine just did. A small pin hole right through the original casting. Unfortunatly I have already replaced my water pump. So off it goes again. Not so luck for me, its Thanksgiving and pretty much all of the ford dealers are closed.

Does anybody know what the price of the rear housing costs? My dealer is out for the weekend. If nobody knows I may just as well weld it shut (the oinhole of course)

yeah it happened to me due to the plate inside the housing spining around with the impelers. had to replace the whole thing... PITA

Well If i am lucky I think I saw a duratec engine in an older (95 contour) in a pick and pull with the pump still attached. Hopefully the car hasn't been crushed yet.

Any recomendations for optimum rad fluid? I figure I might as well flush the entire sytem out considering I don't know when the last time it was done. (i have a feeling it hasn't been done for a while)

I would not use a used water pump unless you know it has been replaced receintly, especially from a 1995. The early ones had impeller failure problems where the impeller cam apart and would no longer move the coolant.

Probably the best coolant to use is Zerox G05. It is the current new Ford original equipment (as well as Mercedes and Chrysler). It is a much better chemistry. Ford says it can be used in place of the old green stuff on Ford products back to 1999. It works fine on earlier Contours as well.

no no no no, this isn't the impeller portion, this is the portion where the impellor casing connects to, on the engine side. The water pump is of no value to me as I already have a new one.

Alright so I replaced the defective part. As it turns out, the pressed in metal sheild came loose and started to rotate with the impellor. I'll try and post some pictures.

OK, I think I understand. You're not looking to replace the entire pump. You only want to replace the damaged housing. I think that will work just fine. Make sure that you check the staking of that plate so it won't come loose on you.

I'm familiar with the loose stainless steel plate. It was loose in my water pump when I changed it. I had purchased the entire pump and was trying to take a short cut by only changing the "guts" only to find that I needed to change the whole thing.

hmm.... So if you were to rotate the pulley by hand, did you hear scraping or something? My waterpump is rattling and I thought the bearings were going bad.... but I'm wondering if my issue is actually the housing. I just bought a new pump today and was about to head out to swap it.

My only clue was when I pulled the "guts" out, the stainless steel ring fell on the ground. There was a very light witness mark on the impeller where it had been contacting the ring.

Before I took it apart, I rotated it by hand, if felt fine up until it started to catch on the stainless plate. ( little did I know that the plate had actually fallen off ). The wearing on the impellor and the plate itself was almost un-noticable. It was as if there was a flat spot on the bearing itself. Once I opened the guts, the ring just fell out and I could then see about 3/4 of an inch had been eaten away by the stainless plate. Absolutelly no noise from the pump what-so-ever during operation. The only indication I got was from the rad fluid actually coming through the casing itself.

wow! that looks nasty! Looks like the speeding metal flakes even scored up the water outlets.
I'm going to return the bosch waterpump I picked up today and order the entire wp unit tomorrow. I'm assuming it'll come with the tensioner too.

Before you return the pump, just have a look at the inside. if the plate falls out when you open the pump, then return the unit and get the inner half. That entire part (what is in the picture) I only paid 12 canadian at the wreckers.

you are a lifesaver my friend. :) just picked one up. just one question - Even though i plan on only getting another 40-50k out of this car if that, Should i worry about this impeller since its the black kind. Or with these replacements is it nothing to worry about.

thanks

Back