• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

EGR codes and the DPFE fix

rollinstylee

Hard-core CEG'er
This is the last day of my summer internship and I'm super bored so I'm posting a problem I had a few weeks ago and how I resolved it. Figured I'd put it in troubleshooting since that's where people might search for it.

My SVT threw a P0402 code (excessive EGR flow) one day after driving home from work while entering my apartment complex. I cleared the code, and it returned about 20 miles later. Damn, not a fluke! I took off the intake, throttle body, IAC, and EGR valve and cleaned the EGR passage in the UIM as well as the IAC and EGR valve while they were off. Cleared code, returned about 10 miles later. Sweet, it's now worse! Did a little reading on the forums, then bought a new DPFE sensor from Autozone. Then the aggravation began.

I installed the new sensor after a brief struggle to get the hoses off the old one. The end of one of the hoses tore slightly in the process, but there wasn't enough length to clip off the damaged end, I didn't have a replacement on hand, and I didn't have a hose clamp to temporarily secure it. I shoved it on the new sensor and hoped it would stay until I could replace the hoses. I drove it almost 150 miles that night and the next day and thought I was in the clear, but pulling into my apartment complex the CEL came on again. The next day after work I went to Advance to get a length of hose to replace mine and had them check the code again, just to make sure...lo and behold it HAD changed, to P0401 (insufficient EGR flow). Interesting. A leak from the torn hose messing with the differential pressure perhaps? Code cleared, driven all the next day (engine too hot to work on that night), light returned coming into my apartment complex. Now I'm starting to think I have a voodoo apartment.

Now for the punch line...I go to pull the old hoses off the new sensor and something doesn't seem quite right. My stomach twists just a little bit. I take the sensor out and look at it, and sure enough...the "hi" and "ref" ports are in different locations from the OEM sensor. :troutslap: I had tried so hard to put them back on in the right place I had somehow overlooked the fact that the new ports were oriented differently. Lesson learned. Over a thousand miles since then, and all seems well.

Sorry this was long and drawn out but hopefully someone will see this and not be dumb. Plus you got a story at no extra charge.

i also have a check engine light problem... im getting three codes.
egr flow insufficient
egr flow excessive
and mass airflow excessive.

car seems to run fine but this morning when the car was very cold i started it and had a flashing check engine (cylinder misfire) i shut the car off then restarted, after that it seems to be running fine.

i think the first thing i am going to do is replace the dpfe sensor
you guys think that is a good call?

and what about the excessive airflow? can the mass airflow sensor just be dirty and need to be cleaned?

99 contour SVT 2.5L

Back