• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How to stop low beam flash from RKE locking (HIDs)

amarv12

CEG'er
I'm putting this in aesthetics since many of the HID threads seem to end up here.

Anyway, I'm thinking of going HID... so I wanted to deal with the issue of the flashing of the low beams when you lock the car through the factory RKE key fob.

After looking through schematics I found that the RKE brain box uses a relay to accomplish the flash...

The following are pictures of the relay -- it is the tan or brown colored box on the left.

P1000231Large.jpg

P1000228Large.jpg

P1000233Large.jpg

This is the view from the passenger footwell as you look up.

To get the relay assembly out of the metal bracket you reach around the back of it, and push in a little tab and pull the whole assembly vertically up...and it's out.

Then simply pull the relay out, tape up the connector and slide it back onto the bracket...and no more low beam flash when you hit lock twice.

MY DISCLAIMER: The info posted here is correct for my model and year...it could vary for other years and models...best to test out the locking functions when you first pull the relay before you tape stuff up. If it stops the low beam flash, you're set. :cool:

Edit: This will stop the headlights from flashing with the "Panic" function.

Last edited:
\

I've already done that too.

Now if only they would flash when I lock the doors...

Go through that relay he posted above - I'm sure there is a wire that is pulsing 12 volts to the lights - find that, wire it into the foglights and you are set - as long as the 12v pulse wire isn't live while the car is running your are set - if it is, you will blow somthing unless you do some fancy wiring.

Go through that relay he posted above - I'm sure there is a wire that is pulsing 12 volts to the lights - find that, wire it into the foglights and you are set - as long as the 12v pulse wire isn't live while the car is running your are set - if it is, you will blow somthing unless you do some fancy wiring.

i wouldn't think that it would be a constant 12 or anything since the headlights and foglights are technically all made to work together they should be somewhat "interchangeable"

Back