• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How-To: Sidemarker install

Ray

Addicted CEG'er
This is the how-to for installing sidemarkers in the default emblem location. This particular how-to is for POST-98 and used the Audi A6 style markers.

Attachments

• A6 Sidemarker install for Post-98.pdf
    62.7 KB · Views: 1
well I couldn't find any 30 ohm, 20 watt resistors at Radioshack so I picked up a pair of 100 ohm and 50 ohm 10 watt resistors and wired them in parralell to get a 33 ohm resistor ... originally i got a 10 ohm 10 watt resistor and the difference between the parking light and the turn signal was not enough, this seems perfect.

I've been wanting to change my sidemarkers so I've been searching alot to see what is out there. Of course I've also been looking at the how-to install cause mine only work when my lights are on. I know I can reverse my LED bulbs and they'll work when the lights are off but I kinda like them this way BUT if I can make them work according to the how-to, I'd like that better. However, somewhere along the line, I saw someone say the how-to needed a correction. Does anyone know anything about this or was that person wrong and the how-to is just fine? If so, what is the correction?

Also, since the lights in the how-to are half powered when the headlights are on, and I'm using LED's, will they work OK? I'd think so since they're working off 12VDC.

Last edited:
Yeah.. I tried the howto and it didn't work. After spending about 3 days searching the three forums here, and google, I finally had enough info to make mine work properly. Some of it was basic electronics, which I didn't know then. Like the line at the end of the diode is supposed to face the direction you want to block current from. Also, the resistors specified in the howto were not at any of the electronics stores around here (even really big stores). Then I found you can run resistors in parallel (to add) and sequential (to subtract). I ended up getting 2 resistors that were 1/2 the size listed and running them in parallel.

I meant to update the guide... and I think I even have some pictures on my camera still. I just haven't had the time and quickly forgot all about it once I got my markers working right.

Are you saying the diagram in the how-to is wrong, or at the time, you just didn't understand it and possibly put it together wrong?

Looks like the diagram is correct... I just didn't know, at the time, how to use a diode. I thought there should be the added comments to clarify that, and not assume everyone knows how to read electronics schematics. So, I don't think that part is incorrect... just incomplete (my opinion).

Then I found you can run resistors in parallel (to add) and sequential (to subtract). I ended up getting 2 resistors that were 1/2 the size listed and running them in parallel.

Uhm... What??

By "sequential" I can only assume that you mean that they are wired in "series" and if so, they don't "subtract" anything. Two 50ohm resistors in series have a total resitance of 100ohm (twice as much.. aka.. add them all up, in a series circuit)
Plainly stated, thats:

R1 + R2 + R3 + Rn = Rt (Total Resistance)

If you place two 50 ohm resistors in parallel, then you end up with 25 ohms of resistance.. not "adding" anything like you stated.

resistrs.gif

:confused: :confused:

Last edited:
heh... as I stated, I'm not very knowledgeable with electronics. I know I wired it correctly (after researching), but I apparently have since forgotten... and got them backwards. I do know that I wired them in parallel and not in series.

Also, since the lights in the how-to are half powered when the headlights are on, and I'm using LED's, will they work OK? I'd think so since they're working off 12VDC.

Since no one answered my question, I'll do it. I hooked everything up yesterday and the LED wouldn't blink, it just stayed lit. I put a regular 12VDC 194 base bulb in, and it worked. The LED bulb I used was from SuperBrightLED's and had a 12 VDC 194 base that worked with straight power to it. I guess the diode and resistors changed something electrically. I'm disappointed but at least I have new side markers now.

Since no one answered my question, I'll do it. I hooked everything up yesterday and the LED wouldn't blink, it just stayed lit. I put a regular 12VDC 194 base bulb in, and it worked. The LED bulb I used was from SuperBrightLED's and had a 12 VDC 194 base that worked with straight power to it. I guess the diode and resistors changed something electrically. I'm disappointed but at least I have new side markers now.

Using that diagram concept, I would have thought the LED bulb would have blinked at full bright, but not operated at half bright due to a lower voltage source that would have still illuminated an incandescent. :shrug:

I think wiring is easier if you want to use LED's, you just tap into the turn signal or something. If you really want to use that LED bulb, I can ask my brother how he wired his hella LED sidemarkers

I just like the way the LED's respond and the way they look. If it wouldn't be too much to ask, I'd be curious to know how he did his, as long as they act the same as the bulbs in the how-to. I can always use the signal wire as a hot source, but I'd rather have the half bright and the full bright signal.

LEDs don't work the same way, i.e. you don't get less light on lower voltage, it's usually either on or off. :shrug:

You could try two LEDs - one on all the time, one that blinked on and off?

LEDs don't work the same way, i.e. you don't get less light on lower voltage, it's usually either on or off. :shrug:

You could try two LEDs - one on all the time, one that blinked on and off?

Actually, you do get less light on a lower voltage, it's just that the span of that working voltage is alot smaller i.e. 6 volts won't get you half brightness of an LED bulb, but 9 or 10 Volts might on a 12V bulb.

You would need an optoelectric characteristic output graph like this to find what voltage would give you 50% brightness for an LED or bulb. Unfortunately, superbrightLEDS doesn't have these graphs for their bulb fixtures. Just single LED's.

uvg80a.gif

Last edited:
I just like the way the LED's respond and the way they look. If it wouldn't be too much to ask, I'd be curious to know how he did his, as long as they act the same as the bulbs in the how-to. I can always use the signal wire as a hot source, but I'd rather have the half bright and the full bright signal.

Actually, I'll let you know how it is wired up myself when these come in:laugh::laugh::laugh::

119-1943_IMG.JPG

(BTW, I'll have an extra pair:ponder:)

Has anyone checked the prices near them lately? I called the dealership near me and they told me.......

reflector - $12.95 ea.
socket - $7.81 ea.
Bulb - $5.10 ea.

Still seems worth it to me but I was just wondering if anyone has done this lately.

Here's a few sites I've found for sidemarkers:

It appears you'd have to get the sockets for these.....almost at the bottom of the page.
http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?make=Audi&engine=1.8T&model=B5%20A4&submodel=Quattro&category=Lighting

I don't know what all you get with these.
http://www.lightlens.com/audi.htm

Same here.
http://www.autoanything.com/lights/61A2070A0A0A1874616.aspx

I ordered a set of the universal flat oval and flat rectangular. They look pretty good although I'm not using them at the present time.
http://www.racinglab.com/sidemarker.html

Last edited:

If you feel like a project, read up on how to modify the duty cycle of the LEDs (this is how the dimmed and fading effects are done with discrete components).

Incidentally, the ratings were over-spec'ed mainly because I hadn't tested it with anything lower. To clarify, the diode should be rated at the minimum 14.4V (line voltage) and 2.25A.

For the resistor, the lowest I'd go is five watts. I chose a 20-watt one because of the packaging. Mine is wire-wound and encased in sand, so I thought it'd withstand the underhood temps better (that's where I mounted the components). The resistance can be adjusted to your personal aesthetic; use the formulas that ray provided to calculate the total resistance.

Last edited:
Back