• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

HOWTO: Hayden #404 Cooler- Fittingless Install for CD4E

mcgarvey

Veteran CEG'er
Hopefully the mods decide to make this a sticky. It seems to be a frequently asked, though poorly addressed, question.

Fittingless Hayden #404 Transmission Cooler Installation

transcool.jpg

It’s been claimed that installation of a tube-and-fin type transmission cooler will effectively double the life of your CD4E transmission, which we all know is prone to a severe overheating condition that can cause premature failure.

There are plenty of threads and how-tos on how to install this, but they all vaguely refer to pipe fittings that are necessary without giving part numbers for them. The way I am about to describe, there is no need for fittings.

Buy a Hayden #404 Transmission Cooler. It will come with the cooler itself, a few feet of rubber hose, and four hose clamps. Also, beg, borrow, or steal a pipe flaring tool. Before you start, see the attached image. The graphic I made is only intended as a schematic for hooking up the fluid connections, so follow these directions carefully.

1. Cut the piece of hose in half. Using the supplied clamps, attach a piece to each outlet of the cooler.

2. Mount the cooler. It is best to mount it all the way to the front, ahead of the power steering cooler, which is just a loop of hard tubing forward of the radiator. Use zipties and foam padding to carefully, but securely fasten it in a location where it will get maximum airflow. Ensure that the hose outlets point toward the passenger side.

3. Now, for the fun (read- messy) part. Look for the crossmember that the radiator supports attach to. Running along the front of it are two hard steel lines. These are the lines to the stock transmission cooler. Both lines go back to the tranny case at one end. At the other end, one attaches to the top of the radiator, and the other at the bottom. We’ll be working with the bottom line, because this is the fluid return. As near as you can to the far right end of that line, use a pipecutter to cleanly cut the line. A good amount of fluid will come out, somewhere around a quart immediately. It will continue to drip as long as it’s open. Cut the line again further to the left side of the car by a few inches. There should be a gap of maybe 6-7 inches.

4. Use the flaring tool to flare both ends of the hard cooler line. This is accomplished by selecting the right tubing size on the tool (3/8”) and then twisting the flare cone down. You will be left with two flared ends into which you can splice your auxiliary cooler.

5. Route your new cooler hoses that you’ll be attaching. I recommend running them alongside the power steering hoses, above the right-hand radiator support and then to the cut in the hard line. Place the hose clamps on the pieces of flexible hose and slip the hose ends onto the flared ends of the hard stock cooler lines. It does not matter which one goes where. Tighten the hose clamps securely.

6. Secure the connections with zipties or some kind of bracket. This is very important. A flare/clamp connection makes a good seal unless it is moving. If you do not immobilize the connection, you will definitely have a fluid leak.

7. Add about a quart of Mercon to the transmission to make up for the fluid lost and the increased capacity.

8. Start the engine and look for leaks. Adjust fluid level with dipstick as necessary. Retighten hose clamps after a few days, and keep looking for leaks.

9. Discard the fitting that came with the cooler, as it is completely useless. Enjoy the smoother shifting and worry less about your CD4E taking a dump on you when you least expect it.

Attachments

• transcool.jpg
    transcool.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
You sir, are the friggin' man. A detailed how-to has been long over-due. If we could throw in some pictures, this may be even more helpful. I'm not sure if it was you, but somebody posted a lot of pictures from their install not too long ago.

I'll take some pictures eventually and post them. I tried to write this in such a way that it explains the basics but leaves room for people to change it as they need.

I think the main thing that needs to be pictured in here is the hard-line to hose connection nearest to the radiator. It has to be cut at a very awkward angle, and it's not exactly fun to do.

Anyway, for now, can this get a sticky before it sinks to the bottom of the thread list where people who are looking won't find it?

I'll be doing this in the coming weeks to my wife's Contour. I'll post step by step pictures during the process and will post them in this thread.

I'll take some pictures eventually and post them. I tried to write this in such a way that it explains the basics but leaves room for people to change it as they need.

I think the main thing that needs to be pictured in here is the hard-line to hose connection nearest to the radiator. It has to be cut at a very awkward angle, and it's not exactly fun to do.

Anyway, for now, can this get a sticky before it sinks to the bottom of the thread list where people who are looking won't find it?
What was used to cut the pipe? I have a pipe cutter, but it's pretty big and I doubt I can get it all the way around the pipe since it's very close to the radiator. Would a Dremel suffice?

It’s been claimed that installation of a tube-and-fin type transmission cooler will effectively double the life of your CD4E transmission, which we all know is prone to a severe overheating condition that can cause premature failure.

True the tube & fin coolers will help, but the stacked plate are BY FAR the better design.

For the record, tube & fin with an annual drain & fill should be all most people need to keep the CD4E running for a good long time. If you live in hotter climates like I do (south Florida), spend the extra money & get a stacked plate cooler. You will not be sorry.

If you really wanted the best cooling, you could get a stacked plate one that is thermostatically regulated. These allow fast warmup, and maintain a fairly constant, and optimal, operating temperature. They also cost lots of money and are larger.

I live in NJ, where the climate is relatively mild. I use a tube and fin cooler, run standard cheapo dex/merc, and change it once or twice a year. Do what you think provides the best economy and protection for your situation!

i plan on adding one of these asap, but recently i noticed that my car has an external cooler below the radiator, it is much smaller than these hayden coolers, and it really looks stock. i was just wondering is this normal? do we all have this little cooler? it kinda confuses me cuz it is located right where everyone on here claims to put theirs, so wassup with this?

Does a pipe cutter have to be used? Why not a hacksaw or something else? I'd rather not go out and buy a pipe cutter just for this.

And it won't fill the insides of the tubing with metal shavings, which are generally bad to have in any part of your car. :crazy:

Back