• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L Fuel rail mod

Hammy1105

CEG'er
I've done plenty of research on this, but haven't found anything yet. So, for all you 3l swap experts out there, what the best way to go with the fuel rail. I'd like to not have to braze the fuel rail since theres so much pressure there, but if that's the only way using the 3l heads then I guess i'll have to.

Latest info is that it can be welded. 96BlackSE & SVT Snob I think know a guy that does a really great job making them. Try PMing.

IF you're using the plastic 3.0 IM, you'll need to use the returnless rail which is different. As Blackcoog said, using the 2.5 IM setup and the Contour rail eliminates the need to weld the rail and then have it pressure tested. You could braze it, but make sure it's pressure tested.

Personally, I'd use the 2.5 IM as you're stuck with the smallish (for a 3.0) 60mm t-body as used with the plastic UIM. The t-body cannot be swapped for a Mustang 65mm as it's totally different. Then there's also issues with the EGR and the IMRC box/wiring when using the plastic UIM.

Of course, it's all up to you.

You never say if you are a returnlesss fuel system or what???

The return fuel system advice is great!.
If returnless then it is another story.

i'm going to do this with a return fuel system. i don't want to spend the extra money to use the 2.5L UIM. nice to know welding is just as good as brazing.

[warning! public display of ignorance coming up.]

presumably, if the rail is to be pressure tested, then it would seem that the fuel delivery line that is welded to the rail can be removed from the car. is that right? in which case, i would be able to have a spare set modified and ready before the swap in order to minimize ride downtime?

Silver soldering is common as well for fuel rails. I've got a fabricator friend of mine working on my fuel rail for the ST220 manifold. I'll post pics whenever he is done with it.

I use silver braze on my rails and it seems to hold up very well. I've never had one leak unless the owner damages it severely and in which case the stock rail would also be leaking.

Back