• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Milling Heads

Danef150

CEG'er
How much is too much material removed when milling heads? The machine shop had to remove 8 thousandths on one head and removed none from the other because the surface was good. Will this cause me problems he didn't seem to want to machine the other one and said it wouldn't cause any problems on a street engine.

so the difference in compression from 1 head to the other should cause me no problems ? Thanks for answering.

I agree with the amounts in question; I would be more concerned about the LIM and if the need to use spacer/rings is required in order to prevent LIM leakage. This will NOT be a problem with this minimal amount removed.

I got the car running today. It seems to be running fairly well. Although its unturned and running 24# injectors. I am hoping that is why it doesn't want to idle. Anyways the car seems to be running well above 1k rpm so I would not feel bad saying that .008 is not too much to have removed when resurfacing a head.

The car will have major issues running 24lb injectors. Your Cougar ECU is expecting 17lb injectors. You need a tune before you can do anything with it.

Congrats on getting it running.

I'm getting a baseline tune from Joey @ Nautilus Performance as we speak. And yes the car is not running as it should it wouldn't idle under 1k rpm with the 24# injectors. However if after a tune its not running better I will assume that I have a vacuum leak and start looking there. I've just driven it for probably a total of 5-10 minutes. Let it "Idle" for another 10-20 mins to bring it up to temperature. Its currently parked in the shop. Don't worry I'm not being crazy with my poor investment :)

If the timing is off very slightly the idle will be very rough and there will be a lot of shaking. Once over 1k rpm it will run normally. Just something to think about.

Back