• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

BAT Struts vs. OEM

ZomzSVT

CEG'er
Long story short, my passenger side strut which I'm assuming is original is finally in need of replacing and I'm sure the rest aren't far behind. With other projects/work/job search etc I'm not going to put any more money into it right now than I need to. I plan on replacing the front two struts only with BAT's, and leaving the rears for a pay check or two down the road.

Do the struts effect ride height very much? Will the suspension be higher in the front than the rear with new struts up front?

I searched by mainly only thing that came up is comparisons between different spring/strut combination...

(I have Koni springs on SVT 100k mi struts also, btw...)

ride height should stay roughly the same. struts dont really have anything to do with ride height. they just help control the ride.

struts don't effect the ride height, the springs do. the BAT struts are alittle more agressive then stock struts. They are good for lowering springs. you can do just two but with 100k miles struts your going to really notice how much the rear is bouncing around on those old struts. after a week you will want to change them.

I plan on replacing the front two struts only with BAT's, and leaving the rears for a pay check or two down the road.

^hey brapple, he said he would be getting all 4 eventually.

Maybe brian meant, order them all now because you will be waiting for them :shrug:

I know. but he is going to want them sooner then later if he only changes two of them. I changed the rears on my mystique and drove a week with the front end bouncing around on worn out struts. glad I changed them the following weekend. wasn't a nice ride at all.

I know. but he is going to want them sooner then later if he only changes two of them. I changed the rears on my mystique and drove a week with the front end bouncing around on worn out struts. glad I changed them the following weekend. wasn't a nice ride at all.
cant be much worse than riding on all 4 being shot :crazy:

cant be much worse than riding on all 4 being shot :crazy:

well that is what I was getting at, it is worse imho. I replace originals at 130k and didn't think it was to bad as I had gotten use to it over the years. then to have just the rears new and the front on the old struts you could tell.

well that is what I was getting at, it is worse imho. I replace originals at 130k and didn't think it was to bad as I had gotten use to it over the years. then to have just the rears new and the front on the old struts you could tell.
hell mine are just over 90k and they are shot i can only imagine them @130 lol

Thanks for the quick input guys. I pretty much knew struts don't effect ride height, just wanted to double check with some people and hear some opinions.

Talked to BAT today on the phone, they have plenty of stock. I'm just going to bite the bullet and order all 4 tomorrow since I know they are long shot, especially after driving roughly the last 20k with Koni springs. (Plus, what is another $200 bones.) But just like BRAPPLE said, I don't think they are too bad but then again they have most likely been shot for far too long and I've become used to it.

Another little bonus too is, I'm sort of excited about the car for once. I've been getting pretty tired of it but this might give me the little extra to hang onto it a little while longer. :crazy:

I put all new mounts on when I did the springs 20k ago after both front springs broke. I'd imagine they are still good, wouldn't you?

Thanks for the quick input guys. I pretty much knew struts don't effect ride height, just wanted to double check with some people and hear some opinions.

Talked to BAT today on the phone, they have plenty of stock. I'm just going to bite the bullet and order all 4 tomorrow since I know they are long shot, especially after driving roughly the last 20k with Koni springs. (Plus, what is another $200 bones.) But just like BRAPPLE said, I don't think they are too bad but then again they have most likely been shot for far too long and I've become used to it.

Another little bonus too is, I'm sort of excited about the car for once. I've been getting pretty tired of it but this might give me the little extra to hang onto it a little while longer. :crazy:
What was/is the total for the 4 struts with shipping? I am in need of some myself.

Still haven't ordered them yet. Super busy today, I just got home. When I called I just wanted to make sure they had them in stock before I posted and choose those as an option.

When my springs broke in the front, I originally wanted the BAT kit... but it was like 3+ weeks back order. Couldn't then/can't now wait that long. But like I said, they have plenty... I'll let you know.

Back