• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

cable end on shifter

tigerbalm

Veteran CEG'er
well i've been dealing with my cable coming off the bottom of my shifter for about 2 years now. Until recently it was managable, but now its rediculous to try and keep on. I've seen a lot about replace the cable end to the transmission but can you do the same on the pieces that attach to the shifter? Is there any other way to fix it?

how about fixing a washer to the cable end ? If i have this right... the ball slips out of the cable end ? Glue or bond a washer to the plastic cable end to stop the ball coming out. You would have to cut a slot in the washer to allow it to go over the stem the ball is on ... but once fixed to the cable end .. the ball should not pass through the washer. So; take a washer and fit it on the stem. Insert ball into cable end. Glue/bond washer to cable end... ball now trapped in cable end. Only problem is ... to take it off for any reason means breaking it ... Discuss...G.

i thought about cutting out some kind of clip kind of like a cotter pin to use on it. The cable end on the shifter does not push all the way past the ball. I'm going to have to drill it out so that it will fit.

Back