• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Can you beat this?

Yeah, they like to give $298 tickets for this in Texas. I wasn't even tailgating, just driving too close for the cop's liking. 2 seconds distance at 54 mph in a 60 on the highway on a perfectly clear day. :blackeye:

I'm thinking somethings off with the speedo so the odo is off a little too. Thats the only explanation why I'm not getting 500 per tank (I could probably get 400) with almost exclusive highway miles.

Im not talking Nascar drafting just closer than normal. We did this on I-95 at 2am. You dont need to be right behind them to get some sort of break in the wind resistance.
10 feet is a pretty big gap (not very big when people have to break quick, we all know reaction time/distances decrease with higher speed)

Not basing all info on this but still interesting to see how well gas mileage can be improved from being the follower instead of the leader... http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/1...g-10-feet-behind-a-big-rig-will-improve-mile/

So Reebs youre saying you did some of this in the city?:shocked:

I'm thinking somethings off with the speedo so the odo is off a little too. Thats the only explanation why I'm not getting 500 per tank (I could probably get 400) with almost exclusive highway miles.

Well, the OTHER explanation is that NOBODY is getting 500 miles per tank. Nobody except Reebs.

I think something's up with his car. I don't believe this can all be attributable to his hypermiling skills. Maybe somebody slipped a Tornado or some engine magnets on it or something.:shrug:

So whats the other explanation exactly? Mine was that something was up with his car so you need to get your own!

I think something's up with his car. I don't believe this can all be attributable to his hypermiling skills. Maybe somebody slipped a Tornado or some engine magnets on it or something.:shrug:

no, just a well maintained car driven very conservatively, not too difficult to do.

my best full tanks of gas averaged out to the upper 37mpg and that was with only a shorty intake on a v6 atx. The upshot of the atx is you can have higher cruise speeds while still keeping the rpms low.

I like FrenchBlue's explanation. If this was anyone other than Reebs, I'd be calling BS. If true, he's getting about twice the EPA estimate.

That's not what they mean when they say "your mileage may vary".

Reebs I bet if you are doing 57 on US23 between Brighton and Ann Arbor you ARE pissing people off and sometimes they will give you a gas saving push.

I swear when I was over there installing my exhaust you said you had an extra tank in the truck or something sneaky. I probably misheard you.

I swear when I was over there installing my exhaust you said you had an extra tank in the truck or something sneaky. I probably misheard you.

Lol. I was a whimp and put my gas tank for my push lawnmower in the trunk with a splash of 87 and a few grass clippings in case I ran out. :p I still have it in the trunk because my wife would absolutely kill me if I ran it out of gas with her in the car while trying to set stupid records! :laugh: And tell your woman thanks from my wife for pulling weeds in our front yard. :)

I'm going to redo this tank. I was setting a new record for sure with this tank as I drove the entire first 1/4 tank the best I have yet, but then was running late to pick my wife up from work and had to cover about 100 miles in an hour. Let's just say I didn't make it but came close enough to not get reemed out and I hurt that tank being a record. The needle is straight up at 1/2 tank and I only have 250 miles on this tank. Last tank it was just over 325 in the first half because the first half always does a little better with the way the tank stays on Full for the first however many miles. I don't know at what speeds wind resistance starts to really hurt but I know anything over 63mph in a SVT with stock FD it starts to go down pretty quick. This tank, like the beginning of that last one before I ruined it, I'm going to cruise in 5th gear at 35mph around 1500rpms IIRC just sipping fuel for the ENTIRE TANK. I don't know if that slow will actually make my mileage go down or increase even more, but I know it was looking great doing that the first 125 miles of the last tank. I am shooting for a fillup of exactly 15 gallons (bone dry!) while hopefully getting 40mph even which would be 600 miles out of this tank. I know it seems impossible, but why not try? If this is possible, at 33.3 mph, it will tank me 18 hours of straight chugging along to run out this tank but I do alot of driving so hopefully I'll be able to report back in about 5 long boring days!

.... and who found out my secret about the tornado?! Shhh! :laugh:

Reebs

Reebs I bet if you are doing 57 on US23 between Brighton and Ann Arbor you ARE pissing people off and sometimes they will give you a gas saving push.

You people honestly have no idea how dangerous it is to drive around the busy Detriot freeways at minimum speeds. And by dangerous, I mean in danger of being shot! :) It really really pisses people off. :shrug: The cool thing is that I get spotted up to a few times a day by old friends, long distance family, etc... while cruising so slow in the right lane. Instead of just going with the flow and only seeing the same few cars surrounding me each day, I get passed by hundreds of cars so the probablilty of random calls from old friends and such wondering what the heck you are doing goes way up! I've got passed by so many people I know. Heck, even Stazi saw me and hit the brakes next to me on the freeway the other day wondering why I was going so slow! :D

People are arseholes. :rolleyes:
If you're doing the posted minimum speed in the right lane, then they have nothing to be ticked about. They can get their butts over to the left lane and pass on their merry way.
Maybe YOU should be the one shining the gun at them. ;) :D

Back