• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How good is this?

At the top right hand corner of the picture youll see a ball. That connects to the shift linkage. That is the piece that needs to be reinforced. Run a search on the old forums. I know this has been covered a ton.

You can install it like it is and take the risk of being stranded and having your car towed once it breaks, or you might as well just install it once from the get go and have you buddy weld it. Seems like a no brainer to me.

But yes, if you get the correct Steeda short shifter for the MTX 75, it will work in a Contour MTX 75. You will just need some sort of riser plate. I have the Steeda, and sold my B&M because the Steeda is much better in my opinion.

As for driving with the cheap short shifters without the welds being beefed up, just make sure you carry your stock shifter in your trunk along with a T 30 wrench (at least that is what both of my SVT's shifters were held in by) to swap it out when it breaks! :) That way you don't get stranded!

Back