• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

running against a neon...

justa2pt5L

CEG'er
I put this thread here bec. I figured more of the 3.0L runners would see it. Move it if need be...

Ok here's the deal. Myself and a guy from work happen to decided to build up our cars at the same time. When we're done we'll race to see who's faster...

I'm in the process of building up a 3.0L for the cougar. The motor is torn down to the block and sent out for boring. I'm ordering diamond pistons, forged rods and clevite bearings. I'll grab a turbo kit once they're done. Also I'm doing my trans, lsd, slick shift forks, and suspension work...

At the same time, the guy I work with is putting a GT Cruiser 2.5L motor in his 1st gen. 4 door neon. He's going with the stock turbo and for some reason he's using the 4 speed atx out of the cruiser as well. for those of you that don't know much about these cars, the 4 speed atx isn't the best choice for performance or upgrades, per the neons.org forum. The 3 speed is...

Well once we're done and he figures out how to install the 4 speed, he thinks the "Neonator" as he calls it, will tear me up. I told him he's crazy and the only thing he's got going for him is a faster way to pick up groceries and get the kids to school on time.

What do you think, should I stop helping him out with research because he'll take me?

Last edited:
Id imagine youll probably eat his lunch depending on your power goals since hes going with the stock turbo. He might have you off the line though. Having a turbo in these cars makes 1st gear pretty difficult when it comes to traction.

I'm ordering diamond pistons, forged rods and clevite bearings.

The stock rods are forged. You will break a lot of other things before one of those break. Clevite main bearings are available in std size but they do not make std rod bearings anymore. I had a friend of mine call the plant and they said that they had no intention of making them. Your only luck is if you find a parts supplier that has a complete set in stock. I opted for a set of ACL bearings. Yes they are aluminum bearings. But they are not like Federal Mogul or Fords bearings. Tri metal bearings only have one advantage which is imbedability. These are quite good at that. The crank is also forged and even if you have a metal failure usually only requires a polish to clean up. I didn't want to spend the exra $$ to grind it and use undersized bearings. Diamond pistons are quite expensive. Around $700 a set or so. I opted for a set of speed pro hypers that already have graphite coting on them. Cost me 12/piston. I had the opportunity to meet buckshot about a month ago. He had a set of Diamond pistons that still scored. He had mentioned something about getting the next set sent off and coated...

Last edited:
even if you help him extensively i doubt he will beat you. Once you grab second and hit third good he'll probably start pouting as he watches you pull away. From what i have read on launching a 3.0 turbo you might want to practice that a little. Supposed to be tricky.

I am not trying to hijack this thread but do not feel this issue diserves a new one either.

So, the Clevite 77 part number for con rod bearings in the 3L parts list is no longer manufactured?

Sorry I haven't been posting here, I've been busy researching and ordering stuff for my build. But just incase someone is following this thread for some reason...

The guy from work ended up leaving the plant I'm in, so I doubt he'll be finishing his swap anytime soon. As for me.... I guess just search the other threads. I've been posting the information on pistons and rods that I came across.

Feel free to close this thread....

Back