• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Don't panic, it might just be the Range Sensor

UmmScott

CEG'er
I'm just posting some info for the Transaxle forum:

Its hard to believe what the transmission will do in ford cars when only the range sensor (MLPS sensor) goes bad. It will do some pretty strange things
Example: Spring of 09, i was drivin with no probs whatsoever. Cruising at 45mph just chillin and all of the sudden my trans starts to shift thru its gears randomly. I panicked, i pulled into a neighborhood and it kept randomly banging hard in and out of gear.

Heres what i was thinking::eek: "Oh F***, its done, toast, gone, fried, what am i gonna do?" Well, no flashing O/D light or check engine light, but i did get a code for the Range sensor (668 if i remember right, could be wrong bout that)

I changed the range sensor; it fixed everything INSTANTLY. No problems afterwards.

So if your trans is acting up like that heres some advice for ya
1. FLUID: its not hard, just a pain. (not a pain for those who care for their car tho) check for bright red color, no burnt smell, and correct level
2. Codes: Don't just go about guessing what could be wrong, the PCM can tell you alot from the codes you get
3. You'd be suprised what will happen if the range sensor (which only tells the PCM what selection the shifter is in) goes bad.
Just throwin out some info for you guys. Hope it helps anyone in need:cool:

Uh, what other name might this part be known by? Various parts sites I've tried have no clue what a "range sensor" might be. If it's the TSS (turbine speed sensor), we just replaced it on our 97 Contour and are still having shift oddities (especially at ca. 15mph).

like what zorrex said
transmission range sensor=manual lever position sensor

Its right on top of the trans and on top of the valve body cover. Its kinda triangle shaped with a small circular post that goes thru the top, you can't miss it
If they don't know what a transmission range sensor (or Manual lever position switch) is, then they must either not understand, or just be...well...kinda dumb

0900c152800a8da6.gif

This pic from autozone's online repair guide (aka copyrighted)​

Neutral Safety Switch

Neutral Safety Switch

Most auto part stores classify the part as a "neutral safety switch".

Stock Wise Auto Borg Warner S26100 Neutral Safety Switch $20.18 + $5 shipping

CSK Auto / O'Reilly BWD Automotive Neutral Safety Switch / Back-Up Light Switch $34.99

Auto Zone Duralast / Neutral Safety Switch $51.99

At least the location makes it look easy to access.

I tried both AutoZone and newfordparts.com, searching on "range sensor", and got nada.

from tcca's topic finder:

TRS (Transmission Range Sensor)
Symptoms (Each bullet point is a symptom that doesn't necessarily happen at the same time):

• Loss of power steering assist, all window controls (none are lit up), rear window defrost controls, half of the MFS controls (only Hi, Lo, and turn signals work), and radio only when car is in R, (D), D, and 1. Everything functions fine when put into P or N.
  • Transmission randomly downshifts/upshifts suddenly while driving.
i had a friends car do this and he left it go long enough that it wouldnt even shift out of first.

but at least the taurus trs gives you warnings before it really stops working. it was wierd cause radio on except when the car was in a moving gear. that was the first symptom to show up

Youre correct

Youre correct

At least the location makes it look easy to access.

I tried both AutoZone and newfordparts.com, searching on "range sensor", and got nada.

You have to get it thru ford. it'll cost ya bout 50 bucks, maybe alittle more or less im not sure.

If im not mistaken, all 3 transmission sensors you have to get thru ford. TSS, VSS and Range sensors

You have to get it thru ford. it'll cost ya bout 50 bucks, maybe alittle more or less im not sure.

If im not mistaken, all 3 transmission sensors you have to get thru ford. TSS, VSS and Range sensors

I am quite sure you can get the VSS from non-Ford sources. My wife and I both kept coming up with that on attempts to search for the TSS; and my wife reports a similar result searching for this range sensor.

I am quite sure you can get the VSS from non-Ford sources. My wife and I both kept coming up with that on attempts to search for the TSS; and my wife reports a similar result searching for this range sensor.

You might be able to, im not sure tho.

I do know that orielly, napa, and advance auto, do NOT carry it..
I remember vaguely autozone had the range sensor and the pcm at one time, but i recently went to their web page and it wasn't there anymore.. oh well.

Correction: autozone sells the VSS, at least for my 95 contour

I do know that orielly, napa, and advance auto, do NOT carry it..
I remember vaguely autozone had the range sensor and the pcm at one time, but i recently went to their web page and it wasn't there anymore.. oh well.

Scotty doesn't know... :laugh:

Most auto parts stores call the RSS a "Neutral Safety Switch" or Back-up Switch".

StockWiseAuto Neutral Safety Switch $20.18 + $5 shipping

O'Reilly / CSK Auto Neutral Safety Switch / Back-Up Light Switch $34.99

Napa Neutral Safety Switch $36.49

AutoZone Neutral Safety Switch $51.99

Trs

Trs

Wow and I was looking at spending $90 for one at the local dealer, just beacuse they called it the transmission range ssensor and not a nuetral safety switch

my 1998 contour just got diagnostic at ford dealer for bucking problem they have a specific new mlps it seems to be digital with a new plug i let you know if it solves my trouble i changed o2 downstream fuel pump wires plugs alternator and coil had no code no history car has 46000 ill let you know
luckione

Unless you're the Messiah, there is no need to resurrect dead threads without good cause.

Your Con-Turd doesn't need a digital sensor, it needs an analog sensor. An Airtex 1S5382 runs less than $30 at Rockauto and you don't have to dork around with a new wiring harness.

well my problem is solved the ford part is its 5 th redesign along with a new redesigned plug motor craft part #WPT7461 342Z-14S411-DPAB for wiring pigtail 58.00
the sensor is 6L8Z-7F293-AA 78.00 you can try the other parts but the new motorcraft part is digital a little smaller the wires on the plug are 16 awg i soldered them in butt splices are only good for 18 awg kit
dealer wanted 575 for this job i did it with my buddy you need to clean the shaft with a wire brush of rust i put a little grease in the grooves shut car in neutral put sensor in neutral 1 down from drive
took my car for an 85 mile drive problem gone folks what a relief i had no code no cel ford will do a diagnostic for 109 if you are not sure and dont want to do fuel pump wires coil plugs etc like a lot of us did the plugs are a specific plat plug you have to order my car is ffv z type cng car hope this helps

Last edited:
The part is an analog part, a digital part cannot work there since PCM is looking for analog output. All it is, is a resistor stack............I rebuilt mine several years ago and it still works perfectly. They run dry of grease and then start sticking/dragging to give incorrect readings. They can easily be checked if you have a pinout.

Back