• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Throttle still hanging???

svttouruofl

CEG'er
Well for the past couple of months I have had a major throttle hang. The car would sometimes drive like normal and at others it rev on its own. When it was acting up it would either be completely messed up or completely fine, no middle grounds. It would rev to about 4700rpms and stay there for 15 seconds or longer at times. It would even cause the accelerate from about 50 to 70 without touching the throttle. So after riding my brakes constantly trying to keep it under the speed limit I decided to try to fix the thing. So I did some research on here and checked a few things starting with the wiring on the TPS and all the vacuum lines. Everything there checked out as far around the motor as I could trace them. So I went and bought a new TPS today. I replaced that and cleaned the IAC valve which wasn't all that bad. I put it back together and took it for a drive. It seems to be a little better but the rpms are still wanting to hang around or just above whatever rpm it is at when the clutch is pressed in. Sometimes the rpms will climb to about 3200-3500 and the drop right away. So what is going on? Do I need a new IAC valve or what?

IAC causes a lot of problems, some not always obvious. After hot driving, my parents Zetec Fukus would stall. After researching the issue, with no codes on a WDS, I assumed the IAC. The IAC was replaced, problem solved. I'm not sure how much air IAC can allow though. Can it provide enough air for such high rpm???

Check your throttle cable for binding.

Riding the brakes? Shift to neutral and cut the ignition! Just beware of the steering and brakes!

Riding the brakes? Shift to neutral and cut the ignition! Just beware of the steering and brakes!

O I have been. But when I get to city or in town driving going stoplight to stoplight sucks.

I had a cop pull me over thinking that my brake lights were suck on but I was just trying to keep it under the limit since he was behind me. I told him the situation and he told me that it sounded like I knew what I was talking about and let me on my way.

I assume you did the throttle hang fix,located in comm problems?
orjwoy.jpg

are you sure there are no vacuum leaks anywhere? have you check everything? after that I would replace the iac. it has been revised a few times.

I'm going to try the throttle hang fix today. And as for a vacuum leak, I just felt around on all the lines while the car was running and couldn't tell anything. Is there a better way to check them?

yeah, get carb cleaner or something similar, maybe starting fluid would be better ... either way you spray it around the vac lines and the intake and im there is a vacuum leak the idle will change.

Back