• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

96 GL cranks but will not start

marksand35

New CEG'er
I have a 96 GL 4cyl manual transmission that will not start. After driving for a few minutes or longer and make a quick stop at store. I get in to restart, the car will only crank but not start. If I let is sit for 10 -15 minutes it will start fine.

It happens a lot on older vehicles. The piston rings are worned out. And when the engine is hot, and shut down for a short while, the cylinders get "washed out". One way which has worked in the past is to push the gas pedal all the way down (this shuts off the fuel injectors), and crank.

If that does not work, then remove two spark plugs, put in a teaspoon or two of engine oil in the cylinders, reinstall spark plugs and start.

Just curious....why does 100% pedal position shut off the injectors. I've never heard of this relationship.

When the engine is "flooded with gasoline", the cylinders are "washed out". There is little compression, hence, the sound of the engine turning over very fast but not start.

For most (if not all) newer cars (including Contours) with fuel injection, the computer shuts off the fuel injectors when the "it feels" that the cylinders are flooded. When you push the gas pedal down (usually more than 90 percent), the computer is programmed to shut off the fuel injectors to "clear a flooded engine". There is a big concern for "backfiring" as that could happen with a flooded engine. Backfiring can cause valve gaskets to blow out and can even cause valve damage in extreme cases.

I have checked the compression for the engine and it reads 190, 187, 185, 192 for all. The fuel pump pressure read 34.5. Plenty of spark. I am still troubleshooting. I have not tried the pedal to the floor to see if it will start. Will try that soon. Have you heard of Fords or Mercury's having a problem with start selnoid's? The wiper arms in the selnoid wearing down and the gap increasing causing it to not make good contact for starting. Thanks for the inputs so far.

Back