• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

1998 Contour SE Stalls in IDLE.

ryanhalstead

New CEG'er
Hello all,

I have a 1998 Contour SE, which stalls when trying to idle, it also runs very rough when slowing to a stop sign as if it wants to stall.

I had a lincoln before and the same problem turned out to be a dirty IACV, which i took off, cleaned and away i went. On my contour when these symtoms started i took it to the mechanic cause I could not remove the IACV on this car, too tight a space.

My mechanic checked the error codes which came up "Bank 1 too lean" and "Bank 2 too lean". He tested the IACV and he said it was stuck in the open position. He replaced it and everything seemed fine for about a day, then the stalling in idle came back. I just took it in again today and my mechanic scanned the codes, "Bank 1 too lean" and "Bank 2 too lean", he removed the new iacv and it tested faulty too, so he had it exchanged for a new one, which seems to already be acting up 3 hours later, and the "Check Engine" light is on again.

Is there something that could be causing the IACV to keep blowing? Is there anything else I should be checking???

Thanks in advance,

Welcome :) , check the wiring from IAC valve and Throttle Position Sensor.

Welcome :) , check the wiring from IAC valve and Throttle Position Sensor.

Hey Tony, Thanks for the reply. The connection going into the iac looks good, should i be tracing it back to somewhere? And which connection is the TPS, I have read about the TPS but not very familiar with it. Is it located on the throttle body somewhere?

i have traced the wiring from the iac back to the engine harness with no visible or physical problems. I have cleaned the MAF sensor as well. It dosent like to idle at all. When you cold start it it will go to 2k revs then drop like a rock to 0 and stall. when its warm it will make a half assed attempt at staying idle before stalling. When at a stop sign it runs real rough as if it wants to stall, but keeping the rev's up above 1000 smooths things right out. Cant i just manually set the idle rev's higher (like above 1000)? This would fix all my problems. The IAC has been replaced twice and i cant replace it again just to have it do the same. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:help:

so to check for a vacuum leak, i need to get a can of carb cleaner and spray all around the hoses? im waiting to hear the idle go up???

"so to check for a vacuum leak, i need to get a can of carb cleaner and spray all around the hoses?"
Hoses and gaskets (intake manifolds)

"im waiting to hear the idle go up???"

or down

"so to check for a vacuum leak, i need to get a can of carb cleaner and spray all around the hoses?"
Hoses and gaskets (intake manifolds)

"im waiting to hear the idle go up???"

or down

I took out my carb cleaner today and sprayed all around the engine compartment, didnt notice idle change at all. I then turned the car off, unhooked the IAC and then started the engine, it died immediatley, when hooking the IAC back up it started to sputted and tried to idle before stalling. Does this mean the IAC is working??? If so, i need more suggestions of things to try.

I also pulled the egr hose off and plugged it with no performance increase, so i am assuming the egr system is working ok. I should also mention, it does not stall while in idle if the engine is warmed up, only when cold. When you warm the engine up it idles fairly rough but does not seem to kick out. Does this change things at all???

PLEASE RESPOND WITH MORE TESTS I CAN PREFORM.

:help: Thanks.

Help!!!

Help!!!

OK, so last night I cleaned the tb intake passage, sprayed the MAF again, cleaned out a hose that was going from the resonator to the IMRC (which was really gummed up), and now the car is running worse. It no longer idles AT all, you have to be driving or your stalled, which is why I now have to pray for green lights. I dont think its the temerature sensor now cause it dosent idle while warm either. I have to go in for surgery the day after tommorow so would shure love to figure this out tommorow. Im desperate. It sure sounds like a unmetered air problem, but sprayed everywhere for idle changes with carb cleaner, with no luck. Is it even safe to spray lots of carb cleaner on engine, could it cause a fire if i tried again??? Could it be one of the hoses i removed off the resonator thats leaking perhaps causing this worse condition??? Tony, i really appreciate your help, do you have any more suggestions for me????

I dread that this will end up being something for which their is no fix.

Back