• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

NE-CEG/Mass-Conn NECO dyno day - Aircougar Performance

BrApple

No Life But CEG
picture.php

A few weekends ago NE-CEG / Mass-Conn NECO had a dyno day which turned out to be a 3L shoot out. Not one stock 2.5L equipped contour or cougar was present. Needless to say Aircougar being the local go to contour/cougar mechanic and all around great guy had a great representation of his work run on the dyno.

First some back ground. In the last 3 years Aircougar has completed near 30 engine swaps, 4 atx->mtx swaps and 2 mtx->atx swaps for the members of NE-CEG and Mass/Con NECO. He also has done numerous other repairs and modification for countless peoples. Many including myself are grateful of all the work he has done.

It is the preference of Aircougar Performance to build Ported 3L engines. The main point of this thread will be to document how well Aircougar can port the 3L engines. This should also lend credit to the detail and know how presented in the Ported 3L how-to that Aircougar created.

The dyno used was a Mustang Dyno at ESP in Sterling, MA.

Also all cars as I recall had the standard bolt on mods. I.E. headers, intake, SVT cams and exhaust of some kind.

First up is an untuned 3L. This happens to be Aircougars own SVT. IIRC the engine has ~30k on it and was finished a week before the dyno. The best numbers where 188 hp and 167 ft-lbs torque.

picture.php

Next up is a tuned 3L. This Cougar is owned by andrewm6097. This engine was ported by Aircougar and installed by andrewm6097. First run the car was lacking fuel on the top end since the tune wasn’t dialed in yet. After I added fuel with the andrewm6097's xcal3 the numbers went up. The best numbers where 198 hp and 171 ft-lbs torque.

picture.php

Next up is Newcat16 with an untuned 3L. This cougar also had an atx->mtx swap performed at the same time the 3L was installed. The best numbers where 186 hp and 167 ft-lbs torque.

picture.php

Next up we have cannondalemtb. Aircougar corrected the miss timed engine on this contour. It was also tuned but the tune needs to be redone since it was tuned with the timing being off a little. Also the secondaries crapped out on the dyno so this run was with them pinned open. The best run was 192 hp and 171 ft-lbs torque.

picture.php

The next car up was another untuned SVT that Aircougar ported the engine. This SVT is owned by Ctmystique and he installed the engine. This SVT is running stock exhaust but has my optimized stock y-pipe on it and a gutted main cat along with msds headers. The best numbers where 180 hp. I can’t read the torque from the copy of the print out so I will update with that later.

picture.php

Finally we end with my contour. It is a tuned 3L with the NPG turbo kit. At 10 psi it hit 286 hp and 275 ft-lbs torque. 8 psi where I have been running it was 275 hp and ~250 ft-lbs torque. It appears that I can benefit from a 3” exhaust over my current 2.5” exhaust. Aircougar again ported this 3L and we both installed the engine. I installed the turbo kit myself.

picture.php

Last edited:
Nice numbers accross the board for aircougar, I like your new numbers Brapple, up the boost dude, put a 2 stage and hit 14psi.

Weird... the first and third 3L's have about as much hp & tq as a full bolt-on 2.5L SVT setup. I'm guessing tuning would really help them out?

Nice #'s on your turbo 3L!

Weird... the first and third 3L's have about as much hp & tq as a full bolt-on 2.5L SVT setup. I'm guessing tuning would really help them out?

Nice #'s on your turbo 3L!

yes the tune makes a big difference. also its was a Mustang Dyno so bump the numbers 10% to compare to dyno jet numbers. So that would be 206/184.

that would make the tuned 3Ls 218/188.

and at 10 psi that would put me at 315/300

I also liked how similar the build where in terms of power with the correct supporting mods.

Also, one comment made by Dan (the guy who drove all the cars). He mentioned how strange it was that all the cars were almost identical to feel and how much power they put down. He like Brians car and said I should go turbo.

I think my car was the only one with ST220 valve springs. Dan mentioned there was a very noticable difference in feel above 6000 rpm between my car and all the others. He said every other car would get a little vibration/rough feel up near redline, but mine was still very smooth all the way to redline. I would be interested when all the plots are posted, because i think most people made peak power at 6500 ish, and mine was still climbing at 6700. It seams like the st220 springs could be a significant difference up over 6000 rpm

Last edited:
This needs to go in giant bold red letters before every post discussing our dyno meet. :laugh:

yeah I think that I might go back and add the bumped up dyno jet numbers to the original post, but it still will not be read by all ...

Even with the bump due to it being on a Mustang Dyno, the torque numbers seem really low...

It'd be nice to see what a tuned one with headers, good exhaust and a good intake could do.

Even with the bump due to it being on a Mustang Dyno, the torque numbers seem really low...

It'd be nice to see what a tuned one with headers, good exhaust and a good intake could do.

the second plot is one that was tuned, although not well as of this time.

I do suppose the torque numbers are low but they are consistant across the board.

Anyone else have a 3L that was dynod on a mustang dyno?

It'd be interesting to see what another 3L did on a Mustang Dyno, as you are correct, they typically do read lower than others.

It'd be nice to see a full oval port on a MD...

I have my suspicions as to why the torque numbers are low but i'm keeping quiet until we see some more dyno's...

Or, maybe some of the 3L guys need to do more drag racing... :D

EDIT: Also, FWIW, if I didn't do all my own work, Aircougar would definitely be one of the few people I would trust with my car for something this big.

it is too bad we couldnt convince andy to put his 3L on the dyno, since he had 3L cams. I also wish we had a full 3L there for comparison. Maybe I need to build one for that sake.

oh, and I haven't forgot to go and get all the dyno plots, I just havent been out there yet.

Andy had a stock SVT at the dyno.

Also we have ctmystiques mystique that has a ported 3L with 3L cams.

I had a guestion/thought. does it make a difference in how the dyno reads based on how the car is put on the dyno? the other year at SZ the mustang dyno was similar and the cars where backed onto the dyno. Where as all the cars where pull onto this dyno.

Andy had a stock SVT at the dyno.

Also we have ctmystiques mystique that has a ported 3L with 3L cams.

I had a guestion/thought. does it make a difference in how the dyno reads based on how the car is put on the dyno? the other year at SZ the mustang dyno was similar and the cars where backed onto the dyno. Where as all the cars where pull onto this dyno.

I know he had the stock one there, but he owns a 3l with 3l cams

Yeah...

Yeah...

Andy sold it to me....and right now the last thing I'd want to do is dyno it until i get all these exhaust "gremlins" exorcised. Jeff, I'd like to get together within the next week if we can to brainstorm over what the issues with the exhaust are/is.

next time ill run the stock svt with no mods i wanted to do it that day but i only had enough to buy another car.. next time im in or maybe if someone wants to get together and go ill do it.. i want to get some stock numbers before all the work starts

Back