• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Does battery change on keyless remote result in reprogramming?

Spikedog

CEG'er
Here's a stupid question - if you change the battery on your keyless entry fob, do you have go thru the reprogramming rigamarole again? I have an aftermarket Remocon RMC-105 fob that I bought a couple of years ago after losing an OEM keyfob for my '96 Mystique. I need to change the A23 battery in it, and can't find any info on whether it will need to be reprogrammed (you know, the paperclip jumper behind the glove box).

Works fine now. The old A23 battery was down to 11.7 volts; the new one hits 12.6 V. I've had 12V batteries in garage door openers that still worked at as low as 7 volts, but I guess this system is just twichy-er.

I believe the car is programmed to the remote, not the remote to the car. So the code for the key fob is actually stored in the car.

I believe the car is programmed to the remote, not the remote to the car. So the code for the key fob is actually stored in the car.

Yup. There is no actual programming in the remote. You can program the same remote to multiple cars if you wanted to. :)

Back