• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Kill Switch

I've never heard of that but I believe it. Its one of the most obvious things to hook it up to. I agree with breaking the path to the high beams if you don't like that they come on when you start the car.

Another question from the guy who wants to know everything before he does it. :shrug: Does it hurt the starter during normal driving if you blink your highbeams or if you're driving with them on? I would assume no because you're not turning the key, but just wanted to make sure.

Another question from the guy who wants to know everything before he does it. :shrug: Does it hurt the starter during normal driving if you blink your highbeams or if you're driving with them on? I would assume no because you're not turning the key, but just wanted to make sure.

as your car is now, the igntion runs the starter wire through to the starter. the way this mod works, is it cuts that connection, so there's nowhere for that power to go, unless you flash your brights, which reconnects the system just how it was before. so, when you flash your brights while driving, all it will do is return your igntion setup to the same state it was before you did the mod. get it?

as your car is now, the igntion runs the starter wire through to the starter. the way this mod works, is it cuts that connection, so there's nowhere for that power to go, unless you flash your brights, which reconnects the system just how it was before. so, when you flash your brights while driving, all it will do is return your igntion setup to the same state it was before you did the mod. get it?

DUH!!! Thanks for making me feel stupid. God, I even amaze myself sometimes.:crazy: But at least I can spell ignition.:laugh:

Correction... the starter wire runs the starter... the ignition wire runs the PCM, Fuel pump, etc, etc...

Ok so what would I have to do to put a switch in so that when you try to start the car it wont unless the switch is flipped.
The headlight thing is cool but I would rather just have a switch, thats less obvious.

Correction... the starter wire runs the starter... the ignition wire runs the PCM, Fuel pump, etc, etc...

that's what i said. never mentioned the ignition wire

Ok so what would I have to do to put a switch in so that when you try to start the car it wont unless the switch is flipped.
The headlight thing is cool but I would rather just have a switch, thats less obvious.

this is basically exactly that. we're using one switch to allow the circuit for the other switch to be completed. so, you just want to add a different switch, instead of the bright flasher switch, to the relay.

Last edited:
this is basically exactly that. we're using one switch to allow the circuit for the other switch to be completed. so, you just want to add a different switch, instead of the bright flasher switch, to the relay.
Ok forgive my ignorance. So essentially what I would have to do is locate the (Green) Ignition wire and cut it. Then get a switch and just wire the ignition wire into the switch?

As I have said before on here: I am NOT mechanically inclined. That includes electrical work.

My bad, the term ignition threw me off there...

Ok forgive my ignorance. So essentially what I would have to do is locate the (Green) Ignition wire and cut it. Then get a switch and just wire the ignition wire into the switch?

As I have said before on here: I am NOT mechanically inclined. That includes electrical work.

:troutslap:

NO! This system setup bypasses the starter wire... the vehicle will not start... sounds like you need to go to the beginning and read through this forum so you can catch up..... not just jump in the middle....

as csvt_2004 said, we're not messing with the ignition wire at all. the ignition wire is the one that keeps the car powered, the starter is the one that starts the car. so, we're cutting the grey starter wire, connecting the severed ends to #30 and #87 (remember, not 87a!!!) on a 30 amp auto relay, then tapping into the orange/yellow wire from the flasher bar to prong #85, then grounding #86. just that simple.

So besides all the neato engineering going on here...

Why do you (RawBurt) want an additional starter/fuel pump kill switch when the car has PATS? Isn't PATS a fairly difficult system to beat?

Also, I think the best thing for this is combined with the idea for the starter... put a normal rocker in semi-plain view for the starter cutoff, and a REALLY hidden key-activated switch for the fuel pump. That way, after they attempted to steal it without success, then searched for the hidden starter cutoff switch and activated it, they would then get it started, then get it maybe a couple blocks away before ditching the car (maybe the HU/CDs gone, but at least you still have the car!) since it's such a hassle to steal (since now they are potentially in a major intersection without fuel!).

Another cool thing is maybe a cutoff like my Sentra has. It's got this little electronic deal that plugs into a keyed slot with a ton of wires coming out and going in random places. Would take a theif quite a bit of time to find the right pair to start the car.

...Of course, if they REALLY want the car, they'll get it... kinda hard to stop them from dragging it to where a flatbed can take it away!

Why do you (RawBurt) want an additional starter/fuel pump kill switch when the car has PATS? Isn't PATS a fairly difficult system to beat?

Because, I think, he is wanting to avoid a theft even if the thief HAS the keys (which would have defeated PATS in and of itself)

Last edited:
That way, after they attempted to steal it without success, then searched for the hidden starter cutoff switch and activated it, they would then get it started, then get it maybe a couple blocks away before ditching the car (maybe the HU/CDs gone, but at least you still have the car!) since it's such a hassle to steal (since now they are potentially in a major intersection without fuel!).

even better, after they attempted to steal it, they decided to jump start it, thinking it had a dead battery. just because the starter isn't powered, doesn't mean the car won't start. i thought of this today. i can still roll it down a hill and jump it. only applies to mtx's, though, obviously.

What about using the cigar lighter to short the coil + to ground? Push it in-shorted. Pull it out-OK. Unobtrusive and simple.

that's actually a really good idea. it is much harder to get to, but still very doable. the only problem for me is that i use my cigarette lighter a lot. the appeal of the flasher is that you rarely use it and never for more than a second or two, so that there's no chance of burning a fuse, or wasting extra energy, or anything like that when you use it for regular use. but for those who don't use theirs, that's a good idea. (also, those who use things like ipod or phone chargers probaby wouldn't want to do that.

that's actually a really good idea. it is much harder to get to, but still very doable. the only problem for me is that i use my cigarette lighter a lot. the appeal of the flasher is that you rarely use it and never for more than a second or two, so that there's no chance of burning a fuse, or wasting extra energy, or anything like that when you use it for regular use. but for those who don't use theirs, that's a good idea. (also, those who use things like ipod or phone chargers probaby wouldn't want to do that.

I don't see why using the cigarette would affect any of that.... it would just need to see ground to flip the relay... all you would have to do is run constant 12V(+) to the 85 pin, and run 86 to the positive lead on the cigarette... then when you pushed the cig lighter in, you would create a ground and the relay would click on... only draw back would be if you had say a cell phone charger in... your relay would be on.... which would mean your bypass would be worthless unless you had another relay involved so you had to do 2 things to get the starter to start....

Back