• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Cant Get Obd2 Scantool To Connect To Vehicle

GerryAttrick

New CEG'er
Hi guys,

Have a Car-Code OBD2 Scantool (from Alex Peper)and have been trying to get it to work on my UK Spec Mondeo V6. My laptop does not have an RS232 port but I have a Belkin USB to Rs232 Adapter.

When we plug in to the OBD2 Port, key on, engine running It tries to connect but then terminates and gives an error message. Have saved the log file and without repeating the whole thing at this stage it says:
10:10.42.6 - over len = 16 (repeated a few times)
10:10:43.2 - timeout 5 mode= $01
10:10:43.2 - no response
ditto - Login #10 ISO 9141-2 @120 10 25
- Login #10 ISO/DIS KWP2000 - 4 slow @120 10 25
10:10:46.3 - No response
ditto -Login #10 ISO/DIS KWP2000 - 4 fast @120 10 25
10.10.47. - no response ping loopback
no response ping loopback
10:10:52.2 - timeout 5 mode= $81

We have tried another laptop with an RS232port and it won't connect either but we get different messages (don't have the laptop to post error log tho)

Has anyone got one of these scantools working or any idea what problem is.

I have a major problem with my TX and have had it rebuilt twice. I suspect it is either the MLPS as the shifting is harsh and erratic. As the speedo does not fluctuate I doubt that it is the VSS although I do have a new one I can throw in. I'd really like to get thias working as my Mondeo has the same problems that were the reason for the Wiring recall on 97 Contour/Mystique but Ford say the Mondeo is not covered and I'm on my own as the wiring harness for UK model is obsolete!

I've had it working on my old laptop but now can't get it to work on a friend's new laptop (and my old one won't boot up). I'm interested in replies as well.

First off, you have to input your registration number or it will never connect.

Only certain versions of the hardware will work with a USB-RS232 converter.

You really need to email Alex for assistance.

Steve

Cant Get Obd2 Scan Tool To Connect.

Cant Get Obd2 Scan Tool To Connect.

Steve

Hi steve,

Yes, worked out that is why the second laptop would not connect so will probably have another try if I do not hear back from Alex in the next couple of days. My main laptop had the registration number input but did not connect. Have sent them a log file to see if they know what the problem is. I suspect it is the USB/RS232 converter on that one

Hope he does a version that works with USB at some stage as RS232 is getting a bit rare nowadays.

My neighbour who is an AA mechanic had another OBD2 reader on test- not as good as the Scantool, and that found a fault in one of the ATX sensors but then we could not replicate it. I suspect this is going to be down to the poor condition of the wiring. I am trying to find a new harness in the UK but Ford say it is Obsolete! May yet consider trying to get one of the Contour ones and hope that will work on a UK spec Mondeo V6. Otherwise it might be a good second hand one if such a beast exists

Thanks for your reply

Alan

Sub/rs232 Adapter With Scantool

Sub/rs232 Adapter With Scantool

Steve

Finally sorted the problem. The driver software set up my "converted" USB port as COM4 (even tho I only have 3 USB ports on my laptop!!).You can check by right click on My Computer/Properties/Hardware/Device manager/Ports/.

I then checked the OBD2 software In scan tool
program-options-gateway-interface, set to same Port number as above number and uncheck use direct ISO.

Oh and don't forget to make sure you have your Registration Code loaded otherwise it will never work.

Fired it up last night to check and it gave the same result as I got from an old laptop with striaght RS232 Port - Error Code 0708... so it looks like MLPS needs replacing. Have got one coming tomorrow morning and I'll fit that and hopefully all my troubles with erratic shifting will be over.

Hope this helps others out there. I know one other lister WAS having problems.

Forum

Forum

Nice plug!:D (pardon the pun) ;)

Hello Tony,

I remember you from your posting in my ex-forum.

I had too much spam and few posters. I did loose ranking on google because of my experiment in that forum.

I must say, It takes a lot of work to run a good forum.

Thanks for your post.

Regards,

Intravino

Back