• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Anybody want to help me change a timing belt?

XT_

CEG'er
Hi all :)

I posted in the other forum how my timing belt is hitting the plastic cover when It's cold out. It seems to go away when the car warms up. I have 97 Zetec

Anybody around the Buffalo area willing to help me replace my timing belt. I do not feel like paying the dealership 600 dollars.. No way.

I'll buy you dinner, and drop some cash in your pocket.

Agreed. If the belt was shredding you'd think it would do it all the time.
I assume that you took the cover off and checked the belt? How many miles on that belt?

I did not take the cover off :( I'm a computer engineer, not a mechanic, lol

I can fix cars, albeit much older ones...

Come over and help me, lol

I bought the car used, dont know if was ever changed...

sounds more like slap then shreading, i drove mine with 'slap' for almost 6 years before i replaced the belt (at 132k) and the belt was still fine. I only replaced it because i was changing the blown waterpump.

If the weather was nicer I would drive up and lend you a hand since I've done them on quiet a few zetecs. Are you in or just around buffalo, and if you're around what's your exact location?

I live in Tonawanda, NY for now. We are looking to buy a house soon. I used to live in Clarence.

I live in Tonawanda, NY for now. We are looking to buy a house soon. I used to live in Clarence.

dude, lets meet up sometime. as much as i'd love to help you, its too friggin cold out. we can just chill though. we can meet up with pre98 as well

I"d love to chill, but I work 60+ hours a week. Couple that with having a wife and kids, I have no time left.

Maybe this summer we can try something. I went to one meet before. I really dont have anything in common with anybody, seeing as I'm almost 30 and everybody else was like 17, lol Nobody would even talk to me. I tried ininiating a convo a few times and go the dirty old man look, so i just left. If you dont believe me, ask pre98 lol

sounds more like slap then shreading,
If the weather was nicer I would drive up and lend you a hand since I've done them on quiet a few zetecs. Are you in or just around buffalo, and if you're around what's your exact location?

I thought about the "slap" also. In the other thread someone mentioned that the belt could be shredding, that's why I mentioned it. I don't think that's the case here.

I did not take the cover off I'm a computer engineer, not a mechanic, lol

:laugh: I understand. :) I figure if you take the cover off and take a quick spin around the block you would know if it was the slap. Plus, you could physically check the condition of the belt.

How is the car running? When you drive it, does it feel normal? How many miles on the car?

If I was closer I would most definitely come and help you. Do you have a garage? Maybe pre98zetec would be open to using a garage to help?

Maybe pre98zetec would be open to using a garage to help?
I wish I had a garage!:cry:

to take the cover off just unbolt the two bolts on the side of the timing cover, if the belt looks physically fine it probably is and I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you can hold out till summer i'd love to come up and help.

Do you have a garage and access to all tools? you need a few air tools btw, to get the crank pulley and the top motor mount off.

i think i'd much rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty bobby pin.

j/k, but yeah that's a little too entailed for me. extra pieces = bad.

Hey guys, thaks for responding :)

Luca- no garage.... :( We used to have bay at the ford plant that would work on your car for free. They would do oil changes, car washes, serpentine belts, etc... It's too bad that's gone.. We might of been able to use the lift!

98CSVT- Have fun in college. What is your major going to be?

98Zetec- This summer, yah! come up and help me, lol

i'm going for master tech. auto, diesel, and alternative fuel. i'm also gonna be taking a night course for auto body

i think i'd much rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty bobby pin.

LMAO!

I see that you guys got more snow up there in the Buffalo area. :( No working on cars now.

Nice perk, using the Ford bay, bummer that it's gone.

Seriously, how does the car run otherwise? Any sluggishness? I'm trying to see if this is something that would need your immediate attention, the belt slipping or on it's last leg.

Is there a CEL? One last one, how many miles on the car? I'm trying to determine if this belt might have been changed before.

LMAO!

I see that you guys got more snow up there in the Buffalo area. :( No working on cars now.

Nice perk, using the Ford bay, bummer that it's gone.

Seriously, how does the car run otherwise? Any sluggishness? I'm trying to see if this is something that would need your immediate attention, the belt slipping or on it's last leg.

Is there a CEL? One last one, how many miles on the car? I'm trying to determine if this belt might have been changed before.

It runs great! It's as fast as it ever was for a Zetec. It's got 99 thousand miles, and dont have a CEL light on at all. The noise goes away once the engine warms up.

same case my car had.. Should be fine till summer.. I drove my car with slap for over 6 years (stupid on my part) but nothing happen..

Luca, the belt has teeth, if it slips then his car will probably not run (1 tooth off my car stalled as soon as you shifted into drive) when it was 6 teeth off (don't ask how... ok nevermind ill tell you... Never let your aunt's boyfriend who says he knows how to change them change it...) it won't run at all.

It runs great! It's as fast as it ever was for a Zetec. It's got 99 thousand miles, and dont have a CEL light on at all. The noise goes away once the engine warms up.

Good, it runs great. It is time for a belt change but it can wait a bit. Personally, having been there/done that, I would get it changed in the spring, it is time for it to be changed (if it wasn't already). Better to get it done before you have issues. Preventive maintenance is key for a long happy Zetec life. ;)

Luca, the belt has teeth, if it slips then his car will probably not run (1 tooth off my car stalled as soon as you shifted into drive) when it was 6 teeth off (don't ask how... ok nevermind ill tell you... Never let your aunt's boyfriend who says he knows how to change them change it...) it won't run at all.

I know all about that, that's why I was asking the questions that I did. He didn't really say how the car was running so I just wanted some clarification to assist with a diagnosis.

I've had first hand experience with a slipping belt on a zetec (my kid's first tour). Her car would be very sluggish up hills, no power and crawling up the hill.

As you already know, if not done properly you end up with more headaches.

I would at least , if nothing else , get in there & look at the belt . If the belt has many cracks & stuff (or missing teeth) , it should either be changed or not driven . having the belt fail would not be something you'd want to have happen :( .

Back