• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT pcm in SE

ukravit

CEG'er
I recently installed an XGT1 SVT pcm in my 99 SE. had to have the keys programmed. 160.00 at major dealership, 45.00 at small town dealership. :)
I got the pcm for 50.00 . not a lot of money invested. I also installed the 19 lb injectors. car pulls harder from 4500 to redline.
by far the best upgrade yet.

I recently installed an XGT1 SVT pcm in my 99 SE. had to have the keys programmed. 160.00 at major dealership, 45.00 at small town dealership. :)
I got the pcm for 50.00 . not a lot of money invested. I also installed the 19 lb injectors. car pulls harder from 4500 to redline.
by far the best upgrade yet.
i can totally recommend shoving a set of SVT cams in it, if you haven't already ... engine will pull right out through the rev limiter. More than a few times i've been watching the road and not the rev counter and rev'd right out . ... G.

This is an upgrade that Terry Haines has advocated.

Cool_story_bro.jpeg

Glad to hear the install went good with no problems! This SE is in the top 3 post98 SeVT conversions I have seen too and this upgrade is well justified on his car.

SVT cams are a dime a dozen nowadays, now that people no longer build hybrids. I definitely agree with snagging a pair.

while i was away i see this has become a poplular mod..so what svt pcm's can we use in the 98-00 tour's?

This is from NECO
XS2Z-12A650-UB ---- 12A650 designates all Ford ECUs and is generally left out during discussions and reference. The full PCM Part number can be found on a white barcoded label on the outside of the wiring harness plug.

9LCM-12A649-AGB ---- 12A649 designates pcm software and is also left out during reference. The software part number is not shown anywhere on the ECU.

RJL1 ---- The calibration code is a 4 character code and is on a white sticker on the bottom of the ECU. It can also be found on the label on the outside of the wiring harness plug.

Below is all the information gathered on the different SVT ECUs.

1998 SVT ECU Part # 97BB-BCB not SVT ECU but listed as one on car-part
1998 SVT ECU Part # 97BB-BCC not SVT ECU but listed as one on car-part
1998 SVT ECU Part # F7PF-DKA not SVT ECU but listed as one on car-part

1998 SVT ECU Part # F8RF-AB Code RJL1 build 4/97 7/97 9/97
**warning** These are not compatible with the cougar PATS system (see link below). They have the PATS system external from the ECU, meaning that the pats system in that year Contour will still engage without any ecu in car. The keys are programmed to the car's systems elsewhere other than the ECU.

1998 SVT ECU Part # XS2F-UA Code SFG0
1998 SVT ECU Part # XS2F-UB Code SFG1
1998 SVT ECU Part # XS2F-UC Code SFG2 build 1/99
These three part numbers are updates for each other and probably have updated software on each one.

1998 SVTs are reffered to as E0 and E1 or 98 and 98.5 because of the major changes in the drivetrain, electronics, body styling, and interior. The switch from 98 to 98.5 styles WAS also when changes occured to the PATS system, switching from type 1 PATS I to type 5 PATS II ngsPATS (NGS=New Generation Star). Early build 98 SVT and Contour ECUs have PATS systems but it is no contained in the ECU. These ECUs are not compatible in cougar (for more info click HERE). All ECUs with Part # F8RF-AB Code RJL1 will NOT work in a cougar. Ford PATS Types
98 = E0 and were produced after 02/97 Ford Link
98.5 = E1 and were produced after 02/98 Ford Link

1999 SVT ECU Part # XS2Z-UB Software # 9LCM-AGB return style
1999 SVT ECU Part # XS2Z-UC Software # 9LCM-AGC Built 3/99
Again these are updates for the part numbers but the same computers.

1999 SVT ECU Returnless Part # XS2F-RC Code MNQ2 ?? Built 7/99
Contours switched from return to returnless on 5/99 so this is the first ECU for the returnless style fuel system.
Part # XS2Z-RC Software # 9LCM-AHC Searching for info???????

2000 SVT ECU Returnless Part # XS2A-AAB Code XGT1 w/ KBAN7 strategy
All 2000 ECUs are returnless and have the most updated information. If you are have a returnless style fuel system the 2000 ECU would be the best choice.

will this upgrade work on my 97 se?

no, iirc PATS wasnt in place in the contor until 1998 my. i spent good money and my tuner tried very hard to get a svt ecu to work in my 96 se.
while that info was somewhat helpful, it applies more to cougars. so if someone had a 98 duratec can they use a 98 svt ecu? or a 99 return style ecu?

Aren't the PATS units separate in the early 98 RLJ1 units? If so, wouldn't you therefore be able to bypass PATS and use the PCM?

ok so i am a newb to these cars and am not an professional mechanic though i do work on all my own and families cars so i do have a decent amount of experience

but aren't the engines basically the same
if the pcm wont work on my 97 now as wouldn't there be a part i could bypass as zorrex suggested or perhaps replace the specific part
and ok so the PATS is just the chip in the key system right?
when i worked at a stereo shop the bypassed it (sort of) for sake of remote starts
they just took a pats key and cut the physical key part of it off and mounted it hidden away in the dash so people could use remote start
it was a trade off
now they have remote start
but now their cars are easier to steal

so the worst case senario as far as i can see is to have the dealer program new keys to the pcm
right?

is there any thing else that may stop the svt from working in a 97

i have to re key my car anyhow since i only have one key and half is stuck inside the ignition

Aren't the PATS units separate in the early 98 RLJ1 units? If so, wouldn't you therefore be able to bypass PATS and use the PCM?

yes the PATs system is external to a RJL1 SVT PCM. however I bet that the pin outs on the 97 PCM and thee SVT PCM are different, and therefore will not work.

I bet with a wiring diagram and a bit of work it'll work just fine. Just gotta upgrade injectors and swap cams as well, IMO, and it'd run great. Sure the 98 is kind of a bastard child of a car, but it has more in common with the pre98 than the 98.5, save for body panels.

ok so it looks like we might have reached a verdict
to sum it up way i see it (i may be wrong correct me if i am)
swap pcm, external pats, injectors and do a bit of wiring for the pats...all of that is nessecary
recomended would be svt cams and well probably the rest of the svt parts as well (could someone please refer this new to a thread/article that thoroughly explains ALL the differences between svt and non-svt)
am i right or wrong?

ok so it looks like we might have reached a verdict
to sum it up way i see it (i may be wrong correct me if i am)
swap pcm, external pats, injectors and do a bit of wiring for the pats...all of that is nessecary
recomended would be svt cams and well probably the rest of the svt parts as well (could someone please refer this new to a thread/article that thoroughly explains ALL the differences between svt and non-svt)
am i right or wrong?

imho you are openning a basket of worms trying to transfer PATS over to make it work. Just install the SVT parts you want and get a tune, will be just as good.

Back