• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Temperature Gauge Doesn't Work

I have a 98 Contour SVT, and my temperature gauge on my dash does not work. I can drive the car for an hour or two and the thing never even moves. Any ideas on how that can be fixed?

I have a 98 Contour SVT, and my temperature gauge on my dash does not work. I can drive the car for an hour or two and the thing never even moves. Any ideas on how that can be fixed?
Wiggle the connector for the coolant temperature gauge sender. Then check if the wiring is broken or chafed.

In this thread with a picture, it is the bronze looking switch under the "co" in the word coolant.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=12672&highlight=temperature

its usually either the coolent temp sensor or the coolent temp sending unit, i had the exact same problem a few weeks ago, replaced the sending unit and was good to go.

See if the connector is dangling there. If so, see if the sender has a wobble to the connector. If it does, leave it disconnected and purchase a new Motorcraft sender from rockauto.com or dealer. There are two types: Motorcraft SW5046 Ford F5RZ-10884-B, which I used in my 1998 Mystique Duratec, 1 wire connection. Motorcraft SW5030 Ford F5RZ-10884-A, has a 2 pin plug on it, which was the wrong one for my car, fits newer than 1998 (IIRC.) Aftermarket sender will tend to read too high. Once you get it working, watch it doesn't exceed M on the scale.

Last edited:
I have had the same thing happening for over a year now...Changed both Sending unit and temp sensor, and nothing! Traced all of the wiring to the cluster and nothing! Now I have to try another Gauge Cluster!

I tried 2 others already, but they were both early 98 clusters, and they won't work with 1998.5 -2000 SVTs....

If anybody has a cheap cluster for 1998.5 and up, please shoot me a PM...Thanks!

Back