• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Bored after 4 years...

since u looking at a cherooke, why not look at some 1st gen to second gen Ford explorers? I have over 282,000 miles on my 96 explorer eddie bauer but I have the bullet proof 4.0 OHV V6!!! the 1st gen is 91-94, and the 2nd gen is 95-01.

I'm effed if I ever want to tow something like a U-Haul, but I suppose that shouldn't detract me from looking at them...:ponder:

On the subject of fuel economy on the XJ's...you'll get 20 or less highway when you take into account all the wear and tear the engine went through. Going from an SVT on premium to a Cherokee on regular...I think I kinda broke even. :laugh:

Depending on your idea of excitement, these things can deliver loads of it once you get off the beaten path. Take my word for it...since I've gone places mine shouldn't have made it to. :laugh:

I'm actually a tad bit bored with it.

Whatchu talkin' 'bout Ian?
icon_slap.gif

Do an MTX swap if you are looking for fun :laugh:

i understand that off-roading can be fun, but i am missing how driving a jeep cherokee on the roads in western mass can be considered fun. a wrangler can be fun with the top off and doors off, but a cherokee? why not get rid of your contour and buy an SVT? i think a zetec automatic contour is probably one of the least fun vehicles out there, so i guess anything will be a more fun vehicle.

i understand that off-roading can be fun, but i am missing how driving a jeep cherokee on the roads in western mass can be considered fun. a wrangler can be fun with the top off and doors off, but a cherokee?

Mass. has A LOT of trails. A lot.

Mass. has A LOT of trails. A lot.

not as many as there used to be... but thats not my point. If he is bored driving the contour everyday, why would the cherokee be any more exciting? I drive an F150 pretty regularly, and while driving a truck has its ups, it def isnt more fun than the SVT.

not as many as there used to be... but thats not my point. If he is bored driving the contour everyday, why would the cherokee be any more exciting? I drive an F150 pretty regularly, and while driving a truck has its ups, it def isnt more fun than the SVT.

Completely agreed. A Cherokee is just going to break down as soon as you hit trails, and parts aren't cheap. My friend got a cheap one and it would cost about 5x as much as he paid for fix half the problems. Not to mention gas mileage.

I would buy a beater and mod your contour. I'll even have a Michah bumper painted in Midnight Red for sale in a few months. Get some new suspension, go through your steering components and get rid of your cat and I'm sure you would enjoy driving your contour. Parts are cheaper than ever for the most part, lots of people need cash.

The only thing, in my eyes, that makes my Jeep less fun than the SVT is that it's an auto. I enjoyed taking both of the SVT's around corners and rowing through the gears, but the Jeep honestly delivers more excitement and fun because of WHERE you can go with it. The places I've been leave a sense of accomplishment in me, because I know I wouldn't have gotten there with anything short of the XJ.

Completely agreed. A Cherokee is just going to break down as soon as you hit trails, and parts aren't cheap. My friend got a cheap one and it would cost about 5x as much as he paid for fix half the problems. Not to mention gas mileage.

How do you figure? To replace wheel bearings, the drag-link, and a tie-rod sleeve, all the tie-rod ends, and half shaft u-joints...I spent no more than $450 on quality parts. The stigma of being expensive to repair is a joke. If you buy a cheap one, it's going to take a lot to fix it. Same goes for the SVT. If it's beat and cheap, you're going to pay out your ass. It works that way with ANY car.

Also, there's a difference from trail riding and beating the ???? out of it. Trail riding is taking your time and going real easy...it's not a baja race.

Completely agreed. A Cherokee is just going to break down as soon as you hit trails, and parts aren't cheap. My friend got a cheap one and it would cost about 5x as much as he paid for fix half the problems.

Where in the name of Baby Jesus did you get that idea? Is that the only thing you have ever heard about XJs, ever? My God, I think the only things that come close to it in reliablity are CJs; maybe Volvos!

If you don't wheel with your head up your ass, Ian, you can beat the piss out of that truck 'till you're blue in the face. I've seen people who are pissed at them for "not dying already!"

On a totally different note, have you thought about checking out a Fox? Jared and I will sing the praises of not only the chassis, but also the 5.0 engine endlessly. They're exorbinantly cheap, easy to work on, and a complete blast to drive.

The only thing, in my eyes, that makes my Jeep less fun than the SVT is that it's an auto. I enjoyed taking both of the SVT's around corners and rowing through the gears, but the Jeep honestly delivers more excitement and fun because of WHERE you can go with it. The places I've been leave a sense of accomplishment in me, because I know I wouldn't have gotten there with anything short of the XJ.

hmm, it seems you still missed my point. i know off-roading and trail running is fun, but i am talking about driving on a daily basis, as in on the road, going to work, class, etc. I find it hard to believe Ian will do enough off-roading to justify owning a jeep. maybe we need ian to clarify- are you looking for a car you can have fun with (ie off roading a jeep) or a car that is fun to drive daily?

hmm, it seems you still missed my point. i know off-roading and trail running is fun, but i am talking about driving on a daily basis, as in on the road, going to work, class, etc. I find it hard to believe Ian will do enough off-roading to justify owning a jeep. maybe we need ian to clarify- are you looking for a car you can have fun with (ie off roading a jeep) or a car that is fun to drive daily?

I didn't miss your point, the XJ and the SVT both have their respective areas in which they're fun. The SVT is limited to pavement though. Granted the XJ isn't some sporty low center of gravity sedan, but it can be a bit of fun on the road. Especially in the winter.

If you want to talk about having to live with the vehicle, it's much more comfortable on a long trip then the SVT ever was. Not to mention the suspension, 15" wheels, and thicker tires are much more forgiving on rough roads.

I would buy a beater and mod your contour. I'll even have a Michah bumper painted in Midnight Red for sale in a few months. Get some new suspension, go through your steering components and get rid of your cat and I'm sure you would enjoy driving your contour. Parts are cheaper than ever for the most part, lots of people need cash.

You have it backwards. The reason I want to keep the Contour is BECAUSE it is so cheap to maintain, therefore it should be my daily.

Also, I would barely take the Jeep trailing, to be honest. It's kinda fun and I've done it before, but it's not like I'd do it more than a couple times per year, really...And I was also looking at maybe getting a 5spd Cherokee :shrug:

You have it backwards. The reason I want to keep the Contour is BECAUSE it is so cheap to maintain, therefore it should be my daily.

Also, I would barely take the Jeep trailing, to be honest. It's kinda fun and I've done it before, but it's not like I'd do it more than a couple times per year, really...And I was also looking at maybe getting a 5spd Cherokee :shrug:

well I don't know how easy it is to find a 5 speed cherokee, but it is alot easier to find a 5 speed wrangler, or even 6 speed manual wrangler for sure?

thats exactly what i was expecting. I dont see how you wouldnt get bored with the cherokee faster than the contour. get wrangler, much more fun on the street (top and doors off)

But Cherokees are MUCH cheaper, not to mention insurance will likely be a LOT less. And from what I've seen on craigslist, the 5spd is pretty common...I'm also looking for 4WD and the 4.0L BTW...

The great majority of Warngler owners (older models that would be in his price range) will even say this...they're not great road cars.

Besides, it's easier to do...things...in the Cherokee. :laugh:

But Cherokees are MUCH cheaper, not to mention insurance will likely be a LOT less. And from what I've seen on craigslist, the 5spd is pretty common...I'm also looking for 4WD and the 4.0L BTW...

the jeep 5 speed tranny is pretty crappy. we have a 00 wrangler in the houshold and even at 50k or so it would pop out of gear, not go into reverse on occasion. I looked into it a little and found the they used a pretty weak tranny. im not sure on the year ranges, though

i guess i just disagree. i have had quite a few cars so far (18 in the last 7 years), and the SUVs that i have had (bronco, blazer) and trucks (f150) and the jeep (wrangler)- none would be on the top of the "fun to drive" list. my 88 GTi was a blast, felt kinda like driving a go-kart on the street since it was tiny, light, no PS, and lowered. the SVTs are huge fun, the mustang was bad ass, my 95 contour v6 auto was boring, i could go on and on and on.

I think you will drive a cherokee for a few months, and ask yourself why you thought it would be so fun- and thats my opinion.

Why not fix the contour ASAP? Coolants lines are like a half an hour fix including driving to the parts store :shrug:

Back