• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT ecu in a cougar

Zpuhalla

CEG'er
Been told a few things today about switching the ecu from from 2002 cougar to a 1999 svt contour. I am switching the engine over but retaining the cougar harness. I will use the cougar ecu to get the car running but was wondering if when I go to switch the pcm and injectors, can I just pop the new pcm into my car and tape the transponder to the dash? someone recomended this to me. I would just get a tune but cannot afford one right now.

its not worth the effort of swapping the PCM in that case... Your best bet is to tune the PCM that is already in your car. You swap that PCM in your car there is a pretty good chance you will jack up your pats system then have to pay the dealer to reprogram the whole system and your keys, and they wont want to touch it if they see a not factory engine in there. The car will run and drive and be faster than stock with the SVT motor retaining the cougar injectors and cougar PCM, but if funds is the issue then you should just hold off and save up for a tune on the stock PCM, WAY more worth it.

You can get an xcal 2 for cheap off ebay now a days, and nautilus performance can supply a basic tune for pretty cheap, which can delete the Pats system and provide more gains than a stock SVT pcm.

depends on the fuel systems in each car. if the 99 is return then the 02 is returnless and you can't swap the PCMs. Also I am not sure if there is a significant difference in the 99, if returnless, harness and a 02 harness.

Pats isn't an issue as long as you have the key/chips that go with the pcm.

Dumb! All that needs to be done is drop the engine in the car. The computer doesn't know what what engine is in there. I don't know why you don't listen to Scott and I. Especially when we explain it face to face. For the 20 thousandth time. Put your LIM, injectors, and harness and drop it in!

Most of us have been around Duratecs and PCMs before the Cougar was even built. Still won't listen. Feel sorry for you since life is just going to be harder due to lack of listening skills.

Dumb! All that needs to be done is drop the engine in the car. The computer doesn't know what what engine is in there. I don't know why you don't listen to Scott and I. Especially when we explain it face to face. For the 20 thousandth time. Put your LIM, injectors, and harness and drop it in!

You know I am listening to you. ^^^ that is what I am doing. I just wanted to see if anyone has done it before. Because one random day in a few weeks I wanted to try it. If it doesn't work I'd swap it back.

You know I am listening to you. ^^^ that is what I am doing. I just wanted to see if anyone has done it before. Because one random day in a few weeks I wanted to try it. If it doesn't work I'd swap it back.

yeah, after you have jacked up your pats system and it wont start after you swap it back you will be on here crying about what happened.

Doing that has a high chance of screwing up the pats system and you needing to tow your ???? up to the dealership to have the pats system reprogrammed.

Back