• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

leaving wax on wheels

bxd20

CEG'er
I wax my wheels occasionally. I was thinking, for the winter months when the wheels have to suffer so much snow/ice/salt/dirt, would it perhaps be better to apply the wax and LEAVE it on instead of wiping off the haze?

Would that act as a protective barrier?
Or would it get permanently stuck on the finish?

Brian
99 SVT

The wax stays on when you wipe it off. Why else would people wax their car, strictly for a somewhat richer look?

I realize that a normal wax job leaves a thin layer of wax, providing a thin layer of protection. This wax slowly wears off thanks to the elements.

So would leaving a hazy film of wax, which would probably be 10 times thicker than what is left after a regular wax job, provide even more protection? Assuming you were willing to trade some shine for better resistance to salt, dirt, brake dust, etc.

I realize that a normal wax job leaves a thin layer of wax, providing a thin layer of protection. This wax slowly wears off thanks to the elements.

So would leaving a hazy film of wax, which would probably be 10 times thicker than what is left after a regular wax job, provide even more protection? Assuming you were willing to trade some shine for better resistance to salt, dirt, brake dust, etc.

And at the same time that film would allow the salt, dirt, and brake dust to stick even better to the wheel in my opinion....

Do you think that the wax wears off just from being "in the elements?" I think it wears off more from repeated washings. IMHO.
Karl
Yes. The extra precipitation that falls over the fall and winters months will take their toll on the wax/polymer protection. Remember precip pulls up the oil, tar, and drek on the road surface and puts it on your rims. Even with that said the real killer is the chemicals put down on the road to prevent icing. That stuff will eat it off quite quickly.
My recommendation for durability/longevity is that you are better off using a polymer protectant then an old style wax one.

Last edited:
an old trick was put oil on your rims only.

Take a quart of oil and a brush and place oil on them. I did it on my parents 1987 dodge van for a winter. When ever i took it to a power wash location. The rims looked brand new. i never took a rage to them not once. Just ran water over them. After the wash they looked so clean and the dirt washed right off the rim. When summer came around i scrubbed the oil off them and viola no problems. chrome looked new with no rust appearing. Back then rims came in stell with chrome plating on them .

Back