• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

MY 3L Swap (in progress)

PHilly

Hard-core CEG'er
Well, I figured I'd make a thread seeing as I'll probably want some input during the build.

I picked up an '04 Mercury Sable Duratec with 9k on it. The motor looks great! I did a Carfax on it and it was in a rental car for it's life until being in an accident in 2005 and crushed in the junk yard.:cry:

I took a few pictures today while I was taking the intake, lower intake, fuel rail, exhaust manifolds and any other crap I didn't need off. I'll uplaod them tonight.

I'm debating doing COP, but my SVT valve covers are SO PRETTY.

One question... Should I use my SVT oil pan or the 3L's? Or should spend even more money and go with an escape pan?

I appreciate any input and I promise, I'll listen to good advice.:laugh:

Crazy low miles. How much did you pay for that?

I had the same question about the oil pan, apparently you can use 3L's oil pan as is, it's just 2 bolts from the transmission will have no where to bolt in due to this, but it is fine and many people have done it. You simply just leave those 2 bolts out. I'm sure there are some opinions on what's better, hence your question about the escape pan.

Crazy low miles. How much did you pay for that?

I had the same question about the oil pan, apparently you can use 3L's oil pan as is, it's just 2 bolts from the transmission will have no where to bolt in due to this, but it is fine and many people have done it. You simply just leave those 2 bolts out. I'm sure there are some opinions on what's better, hence your question about the escape pan.

I paid $550. I tried over and over to have them take $500 for it and they wouldn't. At least shipping was free:shrug:

Pics as promised:

100_0379.jpg

Valve covers off:
100_0377.jpg

Scrap parts:
100_0378.jpg

Were it will be in a couple weeks :cool::
100_0383.jpg

You did see what TRicker put down on the dyno with his full UNTUNED 3.0L...right? Just a thought to think about...but either way, great find!!!! That thing is clean!

quit trying to talk everyone into a full 3L because of the numbers. The ported and full drive totally different and some like the look of one over the other. He has decided already, so roll with it ;). Call me if you need anything.

Nice buy - $550 delivered is still really awesome nowdays. Bay auto parts? They did mine for $350 delivered :D 18k 2005

quit trying to talk everyone into a full 3L because of the numbers. The ported and full drive totally different and some like the look of one over the other. He has decided already, so roll with it ;). Call me if you need anything.

Nice buy - $550 delivered is still really awesome nowdays. Bay auto parts? They did mine for $350 delivered :D 18k 2005

$350 delivered? You would think they would have made like $10 off the engine then after shipping.

LOL elraido i know you have a similar setup but dyno first. usually, especially untuned, split port wins. my car has always put down good numbers..... my split port 3.0 dynoed really well too. it's in the mods..... and the mechanic lol.

LOL elraido i know you have a similar setup but dyno first. usually, especially untuned, split port wins. my car has always put down good numbers..... my split port 3.0 dynoed really well too. it's in the mods..... and the mechanic lol.

he doesnt need to dyno, pud told him about a race with another car that had been dynoed. cant get anymore scientific than that.....

he doesnt need to dyno, pud told him about a race with another car that had been dynoed. cant get anymore scientific than that.....

Yup! Isn't that half the argument anyways....to say one car can beat another. Both know how to drive, and know what each car can do. Besides, there have been a good amount of people on here who have dynoed their full 3.0l and most come with in 10 hp of each other with the same mods for the most part. I just don't see why people put the SVT manifold on when it is proven that they don't flow as well......other than looks.

Last edited:
your forgetting the exception.

a SVT upper that is max honed, and a shoshop lower, gutted lower, hogged out lower, etc.

is just as competitive as the oval port stuff.

that's such a worn out argument, its all preference and goals.

Should I use the 3L's camshafts or my svt's? What's the best bet? 3L=9k 2.5L=115k

EDIT: How many of you would leave the motor together completely and only do porting, then install the SVT valve covers and the lower and upper intake? The motor looks to be in great shape. Just trying to get some info from people who have been there and done that.

I'd leave the 3l cams. So much more to swap over when you change cams.

I've never done porting, however I still have a nautilous LIM I'm trying to get rid of.

Back