• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

p0401 after new sensor

compudude86

CEG'er
Alright, I changed out all my O2 sensors and my DPFE sensor. all my O2 sensor codes went away after replacement and reset. However, now my P0401 is back. It is a new sensor. Ref and hi are on the proper ports. What else is the problem?

Hmmm, I thought I remember reading the DPFE is bound to go bad and throw the code on a lot of ford vehicles, but im probably mistaken. In any case, i'm going to have to pull off the EGR and clean. Is there anything I should be aware of before I try to remove it?

yeah that is what I had before I switched it, then got a P0401. and for good reason. I opened up the throttle body, and it was a carbon mine! solid carbon through all the passages, up until where the inlet was, that was open.

I blasted the passages with carb cleaner, the hole in the throttle plate was clogged as well, blasted the carbon plug out of there, I sprayed and scrubbed that with a toothbrush until it was clean, I had to chisel out the carbon from the passages with a small screwdriver, I disconnected the EGR valve, blasted cleaner up the passage and it ran out dirty and chunky for a bit but then it ran clear, scrubbed the rest of the EGR passages with the toothbrush, blasting it with carb cleaner, got it all opened up, finished cleaning the throttle body, bolted it up, and it feels like it runs better than before. might also be the fact that I also cleaned the layers of carbon off the throttle body as well though.

BrApple you are the man!

Back