• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Stock shifter broke, I need part # asap

mattsBLK99cSVT

Hard-core CEG'er
I was driving around yesterday and I went to engine brake a gear down, and my shifter felt all sloppy and would not change gears. I came to a dead stop to find out my car was stuck in 5th. I pulled up on the boot to find out that the brackets that connect to the shifting ball snapped and that's why it is stuck in gear. I thought at first it was the shift tower but it's not. I need the part number for the whole shifter assembly and is it svt specific or is it the same for all contours?

shifter is the same for any 98+ contour.

also I would just look in the classifieds or go to a junk yard to get one.

Well I figured out the problem. Looks like the clutch cable bracket popped off again. I put it back on and put a cotter pin on the stud to keep the bushing on for now. Is there supposed to be a c-clip around the stud or is just the bushing holding everything together?

Well I figured out the problem. Looks like the clutch cable bracket popped off again. I put it back on and put a cotter pin on the stud to keep the bushing on for now. Is there supposed to be a c-clip around the stud or is just the bushing holding everything together?

?????

Clutch cable? It's hydraulic.

Do you mean the shift cable end on the trans?

C clip? If you have a giant hole on the white cable end you're missing the entire bushing. I'm sure the trans. shifts like crap as well.

?????

Clutch cable? It's hydraulic.

Do you mean the shift cable end on the trans?

yep sorry, i jumped to conclusions thinking something was wrong with the shifter but i forgot to pop the hood first to see if the shift cable was still attached to the trans

C clip? If you have a giant hole on the white cable end you're missing the entire bushing. I'm sure the trans. shifts like crap as well.
the bushing is there, it's just shot, so I put a cotter pin on the stud over the bushing

Go to the old forums and search for "It finally hapened" started by me. Yes, I misspelled happened and unless you misspell it too you won't find it. That thread will tell you more than you want to know about that bushing failing with part numbers and alternative repair methods.

i tried searching for it on the old boards but it keeps saying something about cgi error, can i get a new shifter cable bushing from ford or do i have to buy the whole shifter cable?

Hey do any of you guys have the bushings part number? I cant look at the old forums for soem reason from work so im stuck. I want to go order ti at lunch from ford but I have no part number.

any HALP?

just like i figured.. dude didnt kno what part i was talkin about. even his diagrams didnt show it so I need to give him the part number or something.

Any case, does anybody have one for sale? I already got a temp fix going but i dont trust a zip tie for too long heh

I copied this to a word file from a Bill J post some time ago. I knew it would come in handy somewhere down the road. It is from the 'man' himself ...

For future reference, the cables are XS7Z-7E395-AB, This is the newer stlye. If you have a Focus Tower you will also need 2S4Z-7412-AA and 2S4Z-7412-BA. These will fit a Focus tower with a Contour/Cougar that has the new style cables.

Breakdown:
Cable ends for stock MTX75 transmission from 1998 to 04/01/1999,
F7RZ-7412-AA (WHITE)
XS8Z-7412-GA (BLACK)
If you add a Focus Tower with old style cables,
YS4Z-7412-HA (WHITE)
YS4Z-7412-JA (BLACK)
If you add a Focus tower with newer style cables,
2S4Z-7412-AA (WHITE)
2S4Z-7412-BA (BLACK)

If you have a 04/01/1999 to 2002 Contour/Cougar with a stock cable, the ends only come with a new cable.

Those damn cables are a PITA :mad:

hey guys just a follow up.. What AJ posted HALPED tremendously.. And I take back what I said about the parts guy. How is he supposed to know anyway heh.. When I printed this out and showed him he was like where is that from? he thought it was cool as hell that there is a website for this car that has all the info on it. He never heard of anything like it he said.

Anywho I got the part and im putting it on tomorrow. thx again aj and loco who I called as soon as the damn thing broke heh.

problem. the cable end came out of the orange clamp inside. I dont kno how its going to stay in there anymore. I put it back in and pushed the orange thing as far in as it would go but now i dont have 3rd gear. 1 2 4 and im not even trying 5.

Im taking another look at it tomorrow, so any of guys have any ideas? It was brand new cable end and that plastic orange :censored::censored::censored::censored: looked cheap as hell when i opened the package.. I shoulda just left the zip tie on bleh.. Maybe its the spring inside thats backwards thats not causing it to hold on tight enough?

The previous one was made out of the same thing so i dont kno what changed..

finally.. Done.. Luckily all I had to do was push the rod in a little more and move the end over a bit and pop out the orange button and its in there.. No play in the shifter and it feels great. Took all of 5 seconds when I had the wheel off.

I was lucky thats all it took since I was told it could be worse by having to keep adjusting it until it feels right. Lucky me heh

Back