• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

MSD 2 or 3 STEP

MARXSVT

New CEG'er
Hey i have a question for all you guys. I've been coming here for a while to do reading. And i never happen to come across this so i figured i ask. Is there any body here running a msd 2 or 3 step in there setup. They are very popular in the import scene. I'm hoping it's possible. Or is there any other type of setup that lets you setup certain rpm's for burnouts, lauching, and max rpm. Thanks ahead of time for your help.

You already have protection from over rev its called fuel cut off, to burn out dump your clutch from 7k, and to launch it just experiment, you don't need to spend money so that a computer can hold a certain rpm for you.

I don't know of anyone dragging a Contour that has a set up like that. I have no idea whether they would work in out cars or not. Since there are a bazillion cars from the import scene, it makes sense from sheer volume that something like that would be developed for those cars.

i have a MSD dis-4 ignition, i have a max rpm set, but i don't use the first step (launch RPM limiter) so it's technically not used as a two step yet. if this is what your talking about at all ;) im guessing

So how do you like it. Would you recommend it or is it just a waste. cause i never realy had a problem lauching. But i just feel with this step up it's there are less chances of missing a launch. Cause i know with like the x-cal you can set the rev limiter. I think this is the route everybody goes.

You already have protection from over rev its called fuel cut off, to burn out dump your clutch from 7k, and to launch it just experiment, you don't need to spend money so that a computer can hold a certain rpm for you.

dump the clutch at 7K!!!:eek: not smart. you can do a burn out from like 3,400

dump the clutch at 7K!!!:eek: not smart. you can do a burn out from like 3,400
I never really watch the rpms when i launch. I kind of use to, But i've been driving it for a while now that i can hear and feel were the car feels right. Its that special bond:eek: . But like i said before. Why not lauch perfect everytime. From there it's all about the shifting.

no **** i was making a point that you don't need a dam aftermarket ignition part to do a friggin burnout, its really simple

Well the thing is that it does do the burnout for you. What it does is that it keeps your rpms low. That way your car does over rev while trying to burnout. It's just that added security. That's how i see it. So what does everybody else around here use. Or is it all about the skills. Lol

no **** i was making a point that you don't need a dam aftermarket ignition part to do a friggin burnout, its really simple

And were all saying, you dont need to dump a clutch at 7,000 rpms to do a burnout, nor is there even a reason to do a burnout if your running street tires. I think only one person in all the years ive been here on CEG has ran slicks.

Y2KSVT, never did a burnout with his SVT and probably is one of the few people that pulls the lowest 60' times around here.

If you want to launch well, 1) Buy some quality tires and 2) Know how to drive the car. You dont need to do burnouts.

3.5K? I can roll em below 2500rpm. If you are needing an electronic band-aid to help you launch your car, I dont think you should be trying to race it in the first place. TRicker uses his for his N2O setup..

the 2 step is nice because you can set yoru launch rpm and hold the gas to the floor. it's more for consistency at the track than anything else. plus once you flip the switch you already have the gas mashed, so for me i could be on the bottle that much quicker. it's not as good on a manual car anyways, you still gotta handle the clutch etc. so dump the clutch, flip the switch, hit the nitrous....steer, shift, hit a good light.... its a lot to do.

It's pointless on a FWD car let alone a contour. the only real way to launch is to roll into it (Clutch slip)

Any dumps result in wheel spin or wheel hop, which lead to a blown diff and the need for a new transmission.

I believe that spinning your tires is a different result for many of us. One big difference is the diff. (lsd, atb, open.) A lsd will spin more than an atb or an open diff. If you want to burn out, pull the e-brake (if your set-up is locked rears) and dump the clutch at any rpms you will blow some smoke, on the right pavement. To get more smoke have a buddy dump some bleach on the tires as they rotate.

Back