• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

No Spark

juspifool

CEG'er
I pulled out the harness for the injectors to replace the ends so I could use 24lb injectors. I put it all back together and it would not start. So I looked at the crank position sensor wiring and it was missing insulation. So I replaced the end and it still won't start. So I pulled the spark plug from cylinder 6 and grounded it as someone else turned the key. No spark. So I thought maybe I created a break in the wiring harness when I took it out before. So I removed the whole harness and checked it pin by pin and it all checked out fine. Put it all back together and was sure to use pliers to lock in the three connectors in the back of the motor. Still no spark. Looking for ideas.

-Mark

cam position sensor..... top right on bank 2, thats probably your culprit. that will allow it to crank but will not spark. classifieds don't belong here . Also, your sure you didnt pop a fuse or forget to reconnect coil connector or something to ovbious to check for...

Last edited by a moderator:
double check that the three wiring harness connectors on the rear valve cover are completely seated. if they are not you will get the condition you are having.

cam position sensor..... top right on bank 2, thats probably your culprit. that will allow it to crank but will not spark. classifieds don't belong here Also, your sure you didnt pop a fuse or forget to reconnect coil connector or something to ovbious to check for...

the cam sensor isn't going to stop the engine from running, the crank sensor would....

also classified ads don't belong here in the troubleshooting forum ...

I made sure that all three connectors are tight before I posted this. I will check again tonight and also ensure that there is a connection on all the pins...specifically the ones for the coil and crank position sensor.

-Mark

you might need to take a set of plyers to the connectors to make sure they are fully seated. often it seems they are but in reality they are not.

Just checked the connections. They are definitely fully seated. I used a multimeter to check the resistance on all the pins on both sides of the connectors. They all measured out to be 0 ohms. Other ideas?

cam sensor doesnt stop the engine from running? really? wonder why ford bothers to put on on there. cam sensor is part of the timing controls spark so bug off about your classified ad gripe.

cam sensor doesnt stop the engine from running? really? wonder why ford bothers to put on on there. cam sensor is part of the timing controls spark so bug off about your classified ad gripe.

maybe I worded that wrong. besides we are not talking about the engine running, we are talking about the engine starting. a bad crank sensor will prevent the engine from starting. I havent heard of a bad cam sensor stopping an engine from starting. I know of people in the past with cam sensor codes and the engine would start and run, how well it ran I don't recall but it did.

and i suggest you re-read the rules you agreed to when you joined this site, this is your warning.

edit: I just came across two posts where cars have bad cam sesnors, or at least codes for them and the engines start and run.

Last edited:
Looks like I may have found the issue. Further up the harness the crank position sensor wires were bare and crossed. I am replacing the wires and hoping for the best.

Looks like I may have found the issue. Further up the harness the crank position sensor wires were bare and crossed. I am replacing the wires and hoping for the best.

sounds like a good bet. not having a working crank sensor will prevent the engine from starting.

Back