• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Got new rims, but rear tires rub the fender well lip, any suggestions?

macantley

New CEG'er
i put some 17x7.5" rims that i got from a totaled contour, the wheel well lip seems to be whats holding me up, its not rubbing bad, but it is rubbing, the wheels have a 42MM offset, with 215/50/17s

i was thinking about taking my side grinder to the wheel well and taking 2-4MM off the inside lip of them seeing as they are approx. 13MM wide, my only concern is that ill grind off too much and the spot welds will be gone that hold them together.

matthew

You have 3 problems that are causing the rubbing. 42 mm offset combined with a 7.5" wide wheel and 50 series tires.

42 mm is already pushing the limits of what fits on these cars, but after that extra .5" width and meaty tires, you'll probably have to roll the crap out of the fender lips.

If you take it down to a 45 sidewall, you shouldn't have to do anything.

lowered?

pics? I just want to see a 50 series on there.
My 215/45s on stock suspension look like they could use more sidewall and that it wouldn't rub.
-J

when I had 205/50R17s on FSVT wheels they where fine and did not rub. however now with 225/45R17 on supperleggeras the rear does rub on the same Eibach springs.

ill try to get some pictures later, i think my stock E1 SVT rims have 205/55/16's on them, or maybe 215/55/16's i cant remember, the rims i got are Starr 729's in chrome on my silver SVT (came off a wrecked black 4cyl 5 speed contour taxi)

anyway im going to remove them tonight but ill take photo's before i remove the rims, the two front tires are good but the back tires are loosing air fast, go flat overnight, so im going to put the stockers back on with their brand new tires.

im going to try to get some bfgoodrich gforce kdw NT tires in either 215/50/17 or 215/45/17, the 50 series looks great on the car, and ill be honest with you, i prefer alittle more sidewall for a smoother ride.

you should see my fiero with 235/50/18's on the rear of it, most people run 225/40/18's so it looks like stock height, but the 50's give me more ground clearance, and a smoother ride with the look of the nicer 18" rims.

matthew

Yeah, but the FSVT wheels are only a 49 mm offset and 7" wide.

i figured there was another inportant fact to go along with that. but I did notice that the new Falken 615s stacked up where talled ther the ones on the wheels that where shot if that might make any difference.

well here's the photo's of the rims on the car, i almost had the center caps completely off before i noticed i hadnt taken the photo's of them yet.

the front tires are in good shape, but i think im going to have to replace the rear tires before i can reinstall them, im going to have the rear wheel lips rolled before they are re-installed also, i guess the good news is they will widen the stance of the car 1/2-3/4" for alittle better handling, factory rims with 205/55/16's are installed for now.

matthew

matthew

dscf0435.jpg

dscf0436.jpg

dscf0437.jpg

dscf0438.jpg

dscf0439.jpg

dscf0441.jpg

It looks a little silly..... :shrug:. I wouldn't roll the fenders because you are likely to chip the paint, ripple the wheel well, and open up a place for rust to start..... what happend to the exhaust?

It looks a little silly..... :shrug:. I wouldn't roll the fenders because you are likely to chip the paint, ripple the wheel well, and open up a place for rust to start..... what happend to the exhaust?

when i got the car, it was at a salvage auction, the car was involved in a minor front end collision, well the idiots at the salvage yard ran a forklift through the rear bumper and tore up the exhaust tips in the process.

needless to say i had to replace the front/rear bumpers, the grill, one headlight, and the headlight header panel on the car.

ive got $1600 in the car and it has 110,000 miles, interior is in very good shape.

i personally like the wider stance of the car, i wish the rims were 16" though, then id just have the new tires moved from the OEM rims to the new rims.

matthew

...if I'd known, I would've thrown the SVT exhaust in my truck that day, at least the back half w/ the mufflers & tips

...if I'd known, I would've thrown the SVT exhaust in my truck that day, at least the back half w/ the mufflers & tips

these are ok, there is only one muffler on my SVT, its some sort of turbopack muffler, it looks like a glasspack only quieter.

the tips are just alittle damaged, but not horribly bad, i have no exhaust leaks, and the car looks decent.

really i need to find a silver hood in very good condition and if possible a silver decklid, but currently i cant afford to find a good valve stem cap, so i guess ill have to hold off for now.

matthew

Back