• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Upper intake manifold vacuum ports

K-Dog

New CEG'er
Question.

I've determined that I'm getting some vac leakage at the two large vacuum ports on the top of the UIM near the throttle linkage end on my '97 V6. (Two hard plastic lines. One runs to the brake system, the other to IAC, EGR, etc.) The two lines snap into the manifold with spring loaded sleeves, which would seem to be the source of the leakage. Where can I find replacements for these? Or, if not available, is there a solution to this issue?

Thanks!

Those are uncommon vac leak loacations. The parts can be bought from ford. I wish I knew the part numbers.

Have you been able to confirm that is the vac leak location?

Question.

I've determined that I'm getting some vac leakage at the two large vacuum ports on the top of the UIM near the throttle linkage end on my '97 V6. (Two hard plastic lines. One runs to the brake system, the other to IAC, EGR, etc.) The two lines snap into the manifold with spring loaded sleeves, which would seem to be the source of the leakage. Where can I find replacements for these? Or, if not available, is there a solution to this issue?

Thanks!

On my car, these plastic lines are very loose in the ports, so they cause me concern as well. However, when I spray them with propane the idle doesn't go up. I'm curious if you've confirmed a leak here.

They may seem loose, but there is an o-ring in there that does a good job of sealing those. I too would be interested to know if you have pin-pointed those as the casuse of the leak.

Indeed, it is confirmed. I sprayed a little carb cleaner around both, and while one (to the brakes) is very much worse than the other, both result in a bump in idle speed.

If the part is available at Ford (and I doubt I'd be able to get them anywhere else), does anyone know how to replace them? Do they just pop out?

I always have trouble getting them out and end up cracking part of it. But supposedly there is a way for them to slide out easily. Take your time and be very careful working them out with a small screwdriver and they can come out in tact. Pull up while you use the screwdriver, wd 40 might help.

Back