• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Dyno tuned today.......

12.7-13.0 in a NA car is not lean thats exactly what most shoot for. Run a google search people are listing 13.1 as their goal for WOT on other car forums.

You are 100% correct. 12.9 is the target range...because you will get between 12.8-13.1. Which is perfect!

Intake manifold cfm flow
SVT = 182 cfm
Max EH - 198 cfms
Taurus 01 - 210 cfms
Taurus o4 = 223 cfms
st220 = 236 or 238 cfms

Now the mazda & jag etc etc...i have no idea from cfm flow.

Since I'm buying a Mazda 6 tomorrow, I've been looking around on 6club.com. Someone over there said Joey @ NPG tested the SVT, Taurus, Mazda 6 and ST220 UIM back to back, and the Mazda 6 manifold made the most power. Hopefully Joey chimes in here, but I rarely see him post here.

Mark

Intake & exhaust valves sizes!!

Intake & exhaust valves for 2.5L
Intake Valve Head Diameter (mm) 32.0mm
Exhaust Valve Head Diameter (mm) 26.0mm

Intake & exhaust valves for 3.0L
Intake Valve Head Diameter (mm) 35.0mm
Exhaust Valve Head Diameter (mm) 30.0mm

4.6L DOHC
Intake Valve Head Diameter (mm) 37.0mm

4.6L SOHC
Intake Valve Head Diameter (mm) 46.8mm
Exhausst Valve Head Diameter (mm) 35.9mm

I think an increase too a 37mm on the 3.0L head would be a good idea. While cleaning up some the castings and making the dome in the head cleaner.
Both valves have the same length and valve stem bar diameter. :)

Nice numbers :cool:.. Gives me something to shoot for on my next dyno :).. I left the same mods as I had on with the plastic 3L UIM and haven't touched the tune and will dyno it with the ST220 UIM. Then eventually I will get off my arse and have it tuned more for a higher A/F etc.

Oh do you have a video of the dyno?

Aaron

12.7-13.0 in a NA car is not lean thats exactly what most shoot for. Run a google search people are listing 13.1 as their goal for WOT on other car forums.

seeing as (just like i said) we gained nothing by leaning the car out, i disagree in my particular application. you guys can go tune 13:1 All day long, i know for a fact that my car runs better on 12.5 :)

seeing as (just like i said) we gained nothing by leaning the car out, i disagree in my particular application. you guys can go tune 13:1 All day long, i know for a fact that my car runs better on 12.5 :)

That may be true but there are a lot of variables so moving up and down from that point to get the most hp/tq is exactly what you should have done. 12.5 on one sensor could be 13 on another. You'd hope not but you never know I suppose unless you run a comparison between sensors. Those are good numbers so you should be extremely happy. :laugh:

That may be true but there are a lot of variables so moving up and down from that point to get the most hp/tq is exactly what you should have done. 12.5 on one sensor could be 13 on another. You'd hope not but you never know I suppose unless you run a comparison between sensors. Those are good numbers so you should be extremely happy. :laugh:

yes. a tailpipe sniffer is never as accurate, but it was about the same between both widebands. mine has a bad wire in the harness and it shut itself off (really gotta get that thing fixed)

maybe see if we can get a group price going....you need one, I need one, Heidi needs one, I think Joe needs one, Tony maaaaaaaybe needs one

and CSVT#49... assuming I get my 3L soon... Tyler come on man I thought we were going to go look at some motors :D

We should really look into this if people are interested.

Very good results Tyler.
A friend of mine has or had the highest HP on that dyno with his TT Mustang and he had nothing but the best to say about that shop.

Quick question, why do alot of these 3Ls fall off around 6000rpm?

Your graph starts to fall around 57-5800rpm.

Any suggestions to get these motors to plateau or climb to redline?
I'm still 'planning' a future 3L and I am interested.
I already have an ST220 and 65mm TB waiting and a SHO shop Y with gutted main cat on the car already.
-J

Intake & exhaust valves sizes!!

Intake & exhaust valves for 2.5L
Intake Valve Head Diameter (mm) 32.0mm
Exhaust Valve Head Diameter (mm) 26.0mm

Intake & exhaust valves for 3.0L
Intake Valve Head Diameter (mm) 35.0mm

4.6L DOHC
Intake Valve Head Diameter (mm) 37.0mm

4.6L SOHC
Intake Valve Head Diameter (mm) 46.8mm
Exhausst Valve Head Diameter (mm) 35.9mm

I think an increase too a 37mm on the 3.0L head would be a good idea. While cleaning up some the castings and making the dome in the head cleaner.
Both valves have the same length and valve stem bar diameter. :)

Is this true Harry?
Sounds like a great source for bigger valves.
I know I can get some cheap Cobra valves from guys that upgrade and I've already been planning to have my engine builder play with porting a set of heads before I start the 3L.
-J

Is this true Harry?
I know I can get some cheap Cobra valves from guys that upgrade and I've already been planning to have my engine builder play with porting a set of heads before I start the 3L.
-J

" Kinger " Does the porting for our heads..either the 2.5L or 3.0L. Most of the stock 2.5L guys years ago, would go with 2.5L heads and get them ported..while installing 3L valves. Thats when hybrid motors was the thing for a 3L upgrade.

Nobody (that i know of) have ever gone with an upgraded 3L valves. All i heard about was intake manifolds.
With the true engine builders, it's all about the heads :)
So i started looking for the best combo...3L heads with 37mm valves coupled with svt cams. Which looks like the way i will be going.

Also a brand new 4.6L DOHC valve is only $10.16. So $60 pretty much :shrug:.

I'm working with a local engine builder with all the specs. Only because he will be doing the porting work for me.:cool:
4.6L Intake valve specs
Valve Head Diameter (mm) 37.0mm
Overall Valve Length (mm) 116.2mm
Valve Tip Length (mm) 7.50mm

I've been working on doing a 3L for a while and a lot of times...i like to weigh out all my options and do it right the first time before i jump into everything:cool:

I think you're forgetting 6 more valves :)
So, 3L with ported oval port heads with Cobra valves sounds good?
EH the ST220 UIM, use SVT cams, optimized 65mm TB...what LIM?
-J

Very good results Tyler.
A friend of mine has or had the highest HP on that dyno with his TT Mustang and he had nothing but the best to say about that shop.

Quick question, why do alot of these 3Ls fall off around 6000rpm?

Your graph starts to fall around 57-5800rpm.

Any suggestions to get these motors to plateau or climb to redline?
I'm still 'planning' a future 3L and I am interested.
I already have an ST220 and 65mm TB waiting and a SHO shop Y with gutted main cat on the car already.
-J

Is this true Harry?
-J

most full 3L's fall off harder than mine does. it holds pretty well, even compared to my old split port 3L that did 205whp. if i would have leaned it out a little on top, it probalby would haev held well. a ST220 UIM will also help it keep the power up top. i think if i don't get your ST220 UIM i will get an escape manifold. but yes, the cams are what makes these cars fall off. fortunately, you can't even feel any power loss from 6k-redline now , it feels like its got SVT cams lol :) oh btw i can get 3rd gear rubber with my potenza's up front :D

I think you're forgetting 6 more valves :)
So, 3L with ported oval port heads with Cobra valves sounds good?
EH the ST220 UIM, use SVT cams, optimized 65mm TB...what LIM?
-J
oh...yea...i meant....6 per head lol :)

Oval port lim...since you will need it to match up to the uim. I know the st220 lim is alum (IIRC). Which would be usefull if a larger lim was needed.

I don't think it would be needed in this case. Some people dissagree with my notion of using svt cams in a full oval port 3L. But...oh well :shrug:

Some people dissagree with my notion of using svt cams in a full oval port 3L. But...oh well :shrug:

I can see why people like to use them....peak HP numbers. Other say you aren't in the bandwidth long enough for those numbers to matter, and that is why they like the 3.0L. Apples to oranges.

Back