• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Oil Leaking

Goonz SVT

Hard-core CEG'er
Its been about a month now and i have been experiencing oil leaking undernath. Its not like I get massive puddles overnight but drops that are noticble. I checked the valve covers and no sign of oil leaking there, could it be my oil pan gasket is bye bye. The car as many of you know is 10 years old so i really wouldnt be surprised. I look at the oil pan too and i see droplets of oil forming on there. Any suggestions on what it could be or what else I might try? Im sure changing the oil pan gasket aint that hard..I hope :blackeye:

My dads 98 SE has been having drops coming from his oil filter area. The oil is changing every 3k and it doesn't matter if there is a new filter on there or not, it still has a slight drip to it. I haven't inspected it myself as of yet as he hasn't been to concerned. Have you looked at that area on your car?

I havent inspected carefully but my y-pipe is all dirty and etc from the oil. One of these days im going to have to look carefully

I havent inspected carefully but my y-pipe is all dirty and etc from the oil. One of these days im going to have to look carefully

I had a puzzling leak on my 94 SHO once upon a time. What I found to work best is spray off the bottom of the engine and trans and dry it. Start the car and watch carefully for leaks. You can usually pin point where it's coming from after the car has warmed up and has run for 5-10min.

I had a puzzling leak on my 94 SHO once upon a time. What I found to work best is spray off the bottom of the engine and trans and dry it. Start the car and watch carefully for leaks. You can usually pin point where it's coming from after the car has warmed up and has run for 5-10min.
It helps if you toss some talcum powder on it after cleaning the area well. Then the oil leak will be more pronounced.

Thanks Tony, although it always seems to drip over night. I had this problem before but it went away within a month and nothing leaked, it restarted as I said a month ago now its getting bad..

My money's on the oil filter gasket. Maybe the oil filter is not tightened enough. Check that before you go through the hassle of a new lower oil pan (gasket).

I have had oil leaking on the Y-pipe before and it was because the oil filter was not tightened enough by iffy ube.

I would try spraying down the bottom of the engine with simple green or another degreaser to remove all the existing drips/spray. That way when it starts to leak again you can see where it comes from without it being everywhere already. If its leaking overnight, clean the area in the afternoon when you dont plan on driving (to eliminate the drips spraying), and check it again in the morning.

And actually, the talc powder isnt a terrible idea as it will give you a white background to judge against.

where in the y-pipe is it leaking? I have a leak that is running down over the alternator and it gets to the y-pipe back there, it has just recently started to drip to the ground ... I plan to change the valve cover sealer and oil pan seal over the winter, might have to try for the front cover also ...

Back