• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Autocross at CougarFest

B3NN3TT

Hard-core CEG'er
This was my first time ever, and HOLY SMOKES, is this car fun to drive. I MUST do it again. I don't have any video yet, but I'm sure someone took some. Here are a few photos:

autox2.jpg

Cougarfest2009_042.jpg

Cougarfest2009_043.jpg

box9roll56_349.jpg

This was at the Tire Rack midwest distribution center and showroom in South Bend, IN. We got to race on their test track.

Don't think about it. Just do it. You won't regret it. I promise.

I'm not hesitating because I'm afraid. The timing has just never been right each time there's an autox scheduled in my area.
I was also supposed to do it at CF04, but our friggin trailer broke down along the way, so we had to spend the day getting that fixed.

The Tire Rack in S. Bend is lots of fun. I've autocrossed 4 different cars there, my old GTO was the most fun. Since I have swapped manifolds on my Mystique I have to run it in a modified class. I encourage everyone to at least try this sport.

Thanks guys. The stories are true - it really is outrageously fun, and there's no way to understand until you do it. I ran with a BMW club, so anyone who wasn't in a Bimmer just got lumped into the same class. There were several of us with Cougars, one SVT Contour, my friend Dan's 05 GTO, Porsches, Audis... all kinds of stuff. It is such a fun, low-pressure exercise in handling. And the Roush suspension is fantastic! Now all I need is some stickier tires...

Yes; in fact, my suspension is pretty much worked. I have Koni adjustables, Roush springs and sway bar, reinforced subframe with extra-wide poly bushings and larger brackets, spherical rear links, upgraded front links, and front and rear strut tower braces.

Back