• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

pcm question!!

ahowie

CEG'er
okay so my pcm on my 1999 svt is toast... my question is will a pcm from any 1999SVT work in my car or do i have to match the exact part number?

short answer? You have to have a PCM in the same code range.. there is a list of them under the TUNING forum, IIRC.

Long answer involves a question.

HOW do you "know" that your PCM is toast? what have you done to rule out everything else? What symptoms are you having that lead you to believe that only your PCM could be the cause??

edit with your build being 196in the 99 year (mine is 222) I am betting you have an SFG2 code.

i do have an SFG2 code... and i took the car up to ford to try and figure out why it wouldnt start and they told me the pcm is dead, and that is has a pats module code as well. so i need to look for a pcm with a SFG2 code? then i would need to get the pats reprogrammed correct?

Well.. ASSuming that the dealership is correct, and didn't jump the gun..

yes. an SFG2 (or SFG1/SFG0??? someone chime in here?) would work, and you would need to purchase and swap it, then have your new pcm's PATS (which is integrated inside the PCM) programmed to your keys that you already use.

Either that, or the PCM you get as a replacement, also obtain the keys which are ALREADY programmed to the replacement PCM and then swap out your ignition to accept the new keys.

okay so i would need the pcm, the ignition, and the keys?

what is the general part number ford an SVT pcm?

You only need the ignition and keys if you don't want to pay for the dealer to program your current keys (and thus ignition) to the replacement PCM.

If you want to REUSE the keys (and thus ignition) that you already have, then you must have a dealer (or SOME locksmiths) program your old keys to the new PCM.

Search google for "team ford parts catalog" and it is the second result, I believe.. you can search visually.

yes SFG0, SFG1 or SFG2 are interchangable. I am currently running a SFG0 in my SE and I also tried a SFG2 and that worked also.

Make sure it is the PCM before spending money buying a new one. A few years ago, a CEGer bought a new PCM and the car still wouldn't start. Eventually, another CEGer bought it and then managed to start it. It ended up being the wiring next to the TPS connector.

well i checked pretty much every bit of wiring i could find including the tps connector and it all looks fine, i am going to test the TPS again monday and if it looks good then i guess i need to start looking for a an SFG0, 1 , or 2. anyone have one they would be willing to sell?

Back