• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

IC: morette headlights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Response Received....

Response Received....

I got a response to my email to Partick at Morette USA... Here is what he has to say..

Greetings Christina,

Sorry about not getting back to you sooner. I took last week off for Spring Break.

I do not know Ryan. I will follow up with Morette and find out if he works for Morette.

Do you have an email address for him?

Also, one cannot get around the DOT issues on optics by stating "off Road" only. According to the DOT folks, if it fits on a car it has to comply.....

Best Regards

Patrick.

Can the OP supply me with the email address for Ryan so I can forward it on to Patrick?

Also, one cannot get around the DOT issues on optics by stating "off Road" only. According to the DOT folks, if it fits on a car it has to comply.....
I have a feeling they're not familiar with US law. If I had a track only car, why would I care if its lights were DOT legal or not? Would you mind trying to explain the purpose of the "off road only" label to them? They can sell what ever they want... the liability would be on the purchaser if they have that label.

yeah,i think they are a bit confused myself...look at all the aftermarket "angel eye" or quad light setups on ebay..you think they're all dot legal? cause i dont,the set i bought for my mx6 certainly didnt come w/a DOT stamp of approval:shrug:

Yea, get on Patrick and school him on US laws...we can't let some misinformation cause these lamps to not be released.

Patrick is a US resident so he should be well aware of what our laws are.. this is also the reason why Morette does not sell light assemblies in the US anymore it even states that on their website.

regardless can someone get me Ryan's email address so I can relay it to Patrick from Morette USA?

2nd Email Received

2nd Email Received

Got another email from Patrick in regards to "Off Road Use Only" --- the information is old but if anyone can find something to prove that the rules have been changed then post it up so I can send it back.

Greetings Christina,

Please take a look at the letter from Mr. Edward M. Kronk to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

http://fmvss108.tripod.com/interps/edward_kronk_062801.htm

This will give you a good indication of how NHTSA views for "off Road" only statements on optics.

Best Regards

Patrick

I responded to his email asking about how my Morettes for the Subie were sold in the US prior when they appear to be made of the same materials and overall design of the prototypes I still own. I believe they also sold SRT-4 and PT Cruiser lights as well at one time.

Last edited:
the way interpret that is "direct replacement" headlights..as in TYC,DEPOT..etc etc. these arent' direct replacement headlights:shrug:
or maybe they should just sell the design to some asian company on ebay that doesnt care about DOT certified or not...just a thought

Last edited:
I find that hard to believe. The NHTSA governs what can and cannot be installed on a car intended for public roadways. They are not part of the US Customs department, nor do they govern customs laws. While I don't disagree that installing non-DOT compliant head lamps on a car driven on public roadways would be illegal, I cannot fathom how they can say what cannot be installed on a car that is not driven on those roadways.

Some examples:
1) Street cars drive to be exhibited at a car show. I've seen some swap out parts for "show only" parts. Even (*gasp*) removing their license plates!
2) At the drag strip, many of the muscle cars swap wheels to run non-DOT compliant slicks.
3) You can purchase a car and never drive it on the public roadways that the NHTSA governs.

Many aftermarket parts are marked "off-road only". Even though the NHTSA refuses to acknowledge that designation, it's a general term and its purpose is for the manufacturer to pass liability off to the consumer. It is not illegal for someone to manufacture and sell aftermarket parts, it *may* be illegal in some/all states to install those parts though. How many of us have non-DOT compliant headers? How about our aftermarket HID's that are also not compliant? What about NOS?

If Patrick is not seeking DOT certification, and is saying their head lamps are not to be used on public roadways, then the NHTSA shouldn't even be involved. If he's not comfortable with that, tell him to just sell them as novelty book shelf ends, or something.

*Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nor am I familiar with roadway laws. I am merely stating obvious and logical points. If someone is familiar with such laws, please post your thoughts.

Wow! I thought these lights were in production already. It's been a while since I checked this forum. I bought the black morettes a while back ago when the original thread first started. I wanted to see if I could do the mod myself. Never got around to doing it. I think I paid around $530.00 from Uk Morettes

latest email....

latest email....

I've passed Ryan's info on to Patrick....

BTW -- if you guys get this to go thru I would be interested in a set of morettes for my WRX. (TAILS) cuz they are hot and they would match my existing front morettes.

I'd be willing to trade someone the US Morette prototypes for them - remember these would be completely plug and play and be for LHD vehicles.

Last edited:
These are exactly what I want.. listed for the IMPREZA WRX - MY 01 on their site.

rlimpreza2000.jpg

US Prototype Morettes are packed and ready to ship...

US Prototype Morettes are packed and ready to ship...

no Scott has blown off paying me for months and I no longer trust anything he says... I still have the morettes and if this GB goes thru I'm willing to trade someone (anyone other than Bagged) straight up for the rear Subie morettes I want.

All they have to do is order my Subie tails and ship em or stop over at my house for the trade. :)

no Scott has blown off paying me for months and I no longer trust anything he says... I still have the morettes and if this GB goes thru I'm willing to trade someone (anyone other than Bagged) straight up for the rear Subie morettes I want.

All they have to do is order my Subie tails and ship em or stop over at my house for the trade. :)

oh. well, i'm in vegas, does that mean i have no chance? :)(cheesy grin)

ok sorry for the delay but i just got an e-mail from ryan. he did get a little confused with the lights and thought that the mondeo ones would fit, but he says the one specific for us contour are produced and it fits fine. he said they are working on the pricing and trying to put something down in writing about the DOT issue. he also mentioned something that concerned me. he said he was relyed a worrying message from someone here in the states, and that it might set things back a bit. i don't know who sent this message he didn't give me a name but he thinks it might be because of this thread. but like i said he didn't me a name or tell me what was said just that it might cause a little delay. but other than that things are goin great

I did give Patrick Ryan's email addy so I dont know if it was him but it certainly wasnt me.

Did you ask about my Subie tails?

According to Patrick neither are DOT approved and he cant help us out at all with any purchases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back