• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

motor has something really wrong with it..

Status
Not open for further replies.

dingleberry

CEG'er
well.. after i hung up the phone with my girlfriend.. i saw that it was raining outside.. so i said ah.. y not.. so i took my car out and around in my neighborhood pulling the e-brake having a lil fun.. now not sure if some people know.. but my cats are clogged.. all three of them.. so.. my oil like comes on.. and my check engine light turns on.. and then it stalls.. i try cranking it.. it wont turn.. but all my electricals work perfectly fine! (new battery and terminals) so i had to push the damn thing into my garage (wich is uphill) not fun with one person haha.. but i was thinking.. could the motor be seized and not let the starter turn the flywheel? it also has 174,xxx miles on it.. so i dont know what to do.. im going to run my OBD 2 scanner tomorrow hopfully...any thoughts or suggestions?

well if your oil light came on its a possibility that the engine siezed or spun a bearing:shrug: try cranking it w/a breaker bar.

it just turned over so the motor isnt seized.. but it makes weird whining noise and knocking every once in a while.. think the oil pump went out and its not lubricating everything? the oil light keeps flickering on and off sometimes.. what does that mean?

well these motors usally spin rod bearings which are at the bottom of the motor,they connect the piston rods to the crankshaft
whens the last time you check the oil ??? sound like you might have the rod knock and that usally means a new motor is in order

Last edited:
^^^ thats what it sounds like. the light flashes because of low oil or low oil pressure. if its knocking..its toast,start looking for a new engine..3.0 is the cheapest bet,or if you can find a decent svt engine for CHEAP:shrug:

yeah i figured the oil pump went out or something because of it blinking.. last night i thought it was seized but it started this morning :/ wich is a relief.. but its up for sale right now.. i dont have the time to fix it.. i need a daily driver soon so i can start working..

oil pump failures are rare on the duratec, a flickering oil light means low oil pressure and a knock is most likely a spun bearing.

have you checked the oil level yet? if not do so, and drain the oil and look for metal in the oil. might also want to pull the pan and windage tray to check the condition of the bearings.

I agree, these engines require their oil levels to be above the line. You doing hand break turns could have starved the pump due to a design flaw in these engines. Once starved no oil pressure = spun bearing. It seems those who monitor the oil level closely and keep it above full and don't go doing hard sweeping turns or hand brake pulls don't see as many spun bearings.
The claim to fame in these cars are their handling. So it is very tempting to put the car through it's motions!
The theory is these engines have drain back problems so all the oil does not get to the bottom in time to keep up with the flow. Since the level is reduced under the pump by forcing oil out from under the pump, the pump starves. They tried to fix this problem on the latest SVT version by supposedly putting in more baffles within the oil pan to keep the oil under the pump during hard turns.

If you want the updated oil pan, You can get here:
http://64.202.180.37/files/contour.PDF

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back