• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New clutch recomendations

Luke_Miller

CEG'er
I'm coming up to the point where I need to replace my clutch (109K). I'm not going to do any performance upgrades except some changes to the suspension, a BAT Eurokit. Daily driveability is most important.

What would everyone recommend? A stock clutch or a SPEC 1 or SPEC 2 clutch? Should I replace the flywheel as well? Is there anything else that should be done while I'm having this work done? How many hours should this take? TIA.

First of all, you will find anything and everything you need to know by using the SEARCH button. I will humor you with a little advice anyways.

Go for the stock SVT clutch. It is only $235 or so shipped from Bill Jenkins of Team Ford Parts Nevada. It is a great price as it includes the OEM TOB, svt clutch disc and svt pressure plate. If a new flywheel is cheap enough, then I would consider getting that as well; resurfacing your old flywheel will be perfectly fine as long as you have BOTH contact surfaces redone to keep the proper ledge from the side of the fw where it contacts the pressure plate to the actual contact surface of the flywheel where it meets the disc. A good resurface will cost you $35- $50 from my experience.

While the transmission is out of the car, I would highly recommend that it be cracked open and freshen'd up with some new internals; it would be ideal to add a torsen or quafie lsd as our stock diffs like to shatter like glass and blow out the trans case. :help:

As for time to do the swap...

a few hours out and a few hours in if you know what you are doing.

Reebs

Reebs. Thanks for the reply. I had searched but only saw things mentioning the SPEC 3 and 3+ clutch. I assumed that since driveability was most important to me and I'm not really doing other mods, I didn't really want that. I've not really seen any comments about the SPEC 1.

I'm not sure I understand your comments about updating the freshening the internals of the transmission. Since I'm in Florida, no snow :((, I don't see any real advantages to a torsen or quafie lsd or am I missing something? What are the internals that I need to check/update?

My plan is to buy the parts and take it to a mechanic I know have have them do the job. Thanks for your patience as I'm new at this.

i just got done doing my clutch.

spec stage one, and fidanza flywheel, and honestly i love both of them.

the stage one feels somewhat like stock, but there is a noticeable difference

00stealthySVT -Where did you get your fidanza flywheel? What are it's advantages over a stock flywheel? Thanks for the info.

00stealthySVT -Where did you get your fidanza flywheel? What are it's advantages over a stock flywheel? Thanks for the info.
Absolutely no advantage at all to go with a lighter flywheel. In fact you'll lose a bit of drivability. Just stick with the stock OEM and you'll be fine.
Karl

The advantage is the vehcile revs more freely. I personally wouldn't go back to a stock flywheel, I like just tapping the gas and the revs shoot up. The stock SVT clutch with Spec lightened flywheel is good for daily (very easy to drive), but with the clutch coming out I would go for a Spec1 if I were you.

Aaron

i picked my flywheel up off of ebay from Ultrarev.

as for the clutch i love the combo of the two.
driveablitly is all how well you can drive stick.. the only thing is trying get down is lauching.

I have a spec 1 clutch. Easy drivability, and I can tell it grips a bit better than a stock new one. I'll let you know how it launches and races in about 90 days.

The advantage is the vehcile revs more freely. I personally wouldn't go back to a stock flywheel, I like just tapping the gas and the revs shoot up. The stock SVT clutch with Spec lightened flywheel is good for daily (very easy to drive), but with the clutch coming out I would go for a Spec1 if I were you.

Aaron
In as much as the OP was not looking for a performance upgrade, there's no advantage. A lighter flywheel means less torque in an engine that already suffers from a lack of it. With less torque, you might need more clutch feathering to take off from a stop which will not so surprisingly decrease clutch life. If the stock flywheel is okay, keep it and get the SVT OEM clutch.
Karl

In as much as the OP was not looking for a performance upgrade, there's no advantage. A lighter flywheel means less torque in an engine that already suffers from a lack of it. With less torque, you might need more clutch feathering to take off from a stop which will not so surprisingly decrease clutch life. If the stock flywheel is okay, keep it and get the SVT OEM clutch.
Karl

Ah ok I see what you are saying :).

Aaron

Back