• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Not the best gas mileage !help!

98csvt69

CEG'er
My car is only getting 14-16 miles to the gallon. I have replaced all O2 sensors, put a cai on, gutted the main cat and cut out the resinator, replaced all the spark plugs and wires, cleaned the intake manifold and added fuel additive to the gas. Before i did all this my car wasnt even reaching 12 miles to the gallon. Im barely getting 220 miles to a tank driving as nice as possible. I can't think of anything else. Dose anyone have any ideas in which would help me??:shrug:

Any of the brakes dragging? How's the tire pressure? ATX/MTX? Is this bumper to bumper city traffic or highway? How's the car running otherwise? Any hesitation, bogging or Misfires?

Brakes are new all around, no dragging. Tire pressure checked once or twice a week. MTX. I live in northern Minnesota out in the country, mostly all highway with a few stop signs. The car runs really good for having 174,000 miles on the motor. Thiers no hesitation or bogging. I just smoked a acura integra yesterday. when i try and get good mileage i drive 55-60 mph. oyeah and i just replaced the fuel filter.

My Guess would be the car is running on the rich side, since you opened up the intake and the exhaust flow.

After the upgrades/work did you reset the PCM? If so how long ago?

Well unhooking the battery for 5 min will reset the PCM wont it? If so just when i did the exhaust a week ago. I did notice it smokes like hell when i hit the rev limiter after doing the exhaust. i know duh, but i still don think it should smoke that bad. Well maby with that many miles...i do have a snyper performance tune on the car right now but the only things i changed was the rev limiter ,speed limiter, and said i have a CAI. so nothing really performance wise.

220 miles a tank is about what I get. I usually end up putting about 11-12 gallons in when I fill up. This works out to about 20 mpg. You may just be rounding down too much.
That said, thats still too low for all highway driving (I get 24-26 on roadtrips).
Could your lead foot be to blame? It happens.
Also, I got much better mileage after replacing my PCV valve. For 5 bucks and 10 minutes works its worth a try.

the most i ever got was like 238miles to a tank and i put in almost 14 gallons in. Iv herd the PCV valve might help. i think i might try that.

Back