• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

98 contour wont start

EnvoyXL

New CEG'er
Ok, here is the deal. One of my radiator hoses blew a while back while going up a large hill. The car died and I left it at a friends house for the past month or so. I get the contour back today and pulled off the belt for the water pump to see if it locked up and maybe that was the reason for it not starting. I tried to start the car at this point and it cranks really slow. I give it a jump start and it still cranks slow, and does not ever start. I tried spinning the pully for the water pump and it is not locked up. I checked my fuses and fuse 31 and 32 were both blown. I have no idea what those fuses went to, but they have been replaced now. Where should I start to figure out while this car wont start?

Could be a wiring issue leading to a dead battery. Charge battery well.

From Ray,

a list of fuses for the entire car:

"FUSE LIST" (just said these so it comes up in searches)
FUSE DIAGRAM

FUSES
ENGINE COMPARTMENT FUSE BOX
Fuse # - Amp - Color - Circuit
1 - 80 - Black - Main power
2 - 60 - Yellow - Engine cooling fan
3 - 60 - Yellow - ABS braking system, Heater blower motor
4 - 20 - Yellow - Daytime running lights
5 - 15 - Light Blue - Fog lamp
6 - Not used
7 - 20 - Yellow - ABS system
8 - Not used
9 - 20 - Light Blue - ECU
10 - 20 - Light Blue - Ignition switch
11 - 3 - Violet - ECU memory
12 - 15 - Light Blue - Horn, Hazard flasher warning system
13 - 20 - Yellow - Oxygen sensor
14 - 15 - Light Blue - Fuel pump
15 - 10 - Red - Low beam, passenger side
16 - 10 - Red - Low beam, driver's side
17 - 10 - Red - High beam, passenger side
18 - 10 - Red - High beam, driver's side
PASSENGER COMPARTMENT FUSE BOX
Fuse # - Amp - Color - Circuit
19 - Not used
20 - 10 - Black - Wiper motors (circuit breaker)
21 - 40 - Orange - Power windows
22 - 7.5 - Brown - ABS module
23 - 15 - Light Blue - Backup lights
24 - 15 - Light Blue - Brake lights
25 - 20 - Yellow - Door locks
26 - 7.5 - Brown - Main light
27 - 15 - Light Blue - Cigarette lighter
28 - 30 - Light Green - Electric seats
29 - 30 - Light Green - Rear window defroster
30 - 7.5 - Brown - Engine management system
31 - 7.5 - Brown - Instrument panel illumination
32 - 7.5 - Brown - Radio
33 - 7.5 - Brown - Parking lamps - drivers side
34 - 7.5 - Brown - Interior lights, electric side mirrors, clock
35 - 7.5 - Brown - Parking lights - passenger side
36 - 10 - Red - Air bag
37 - 30 - Light Green - Heater blower motor
38 - Not used

RELAYS
ENGINE COMPARTMENT FUSE BOX
Relay - Circuit
R1 - Daytime running lights
R2 - Radiator fan, high speed
R3 - Air conditioning
R4 - Air conditioning clutch
R5 - Radiator fan, low speed
R6 - Starter solenoid
R7 - Horn
R8 - Fuel pump
R9 - Headlight, low beam
R10 - Headlight, high beam
R11 - ECU module
D1 - Reverse voltage protection
PASSENGER COMPARTMENT FUSE B0X
Relay - Circuit
R12 - Interior lighting
R13 - Rear window defroster
R14 - Heater blower motor
R15 - Wiper motor
R16 - Ignition
D2 - Reverse voltage protection

I dont think it is my battery. I swapped batteries and it still wont start. Where do I go from here?

I only have two engine codes. One is for the VCT and the other is for O2 sensor. I had both of these before the no start condition.

I only have two engine codes. One is for the VCT and the other is for O2 sensor. I had both of these before the no start condition.
One (most probably VCT) or both were operating on its last legs and finally "gave up the ghost". Time to change those.

The VCT code was being thrown because I had it disconnected. It wasnt operating properly and was throwing the timing off. When disconnected it goes back to the correct default timing. This will not cause the vehicle not to start and neither will an O2 sensor. So where else should I start?

try jumping it with another vehicle....

when we rebuilt my motor and attempted to start the car it would spin but just not fast enough... had a brand new battery and a jump box as well but the only way we got it to catch was with jumper cables and another vehicle..

Good Luck.

The things that are messed up are not causing a no start condition. So is there anybody else out there who would like to jump in on this?

Jump starting was a good idea, I tried, but still did not start.

Got FUEL (at proper pressure)?

Got SPARK?

Got AIR?

Need all three at the proper times and in the proper amounts.

You're missing at least one of them.

A quick shot of starting fluid into the throttle body while cranking will substitute for the fuel supply.

Cracking the throttle 1/4 way while cranking will bypass the IAC.

Check for spark using a spark tester, or by using the old screwdriver and plug wire routine.

Once you know which sub-system has failed, you a lot closer to knowing why the engine won't start.

Steve

perhaps its flooded.... remove a sparkplug and smell it... if it smells like gas I'm willing to bet its flooded and you should change the plugs and jump it.

my beater would not start last year or it would start for a sec and then shut off and then just crank... it was that way for a few days... removed a plug and that sucker was flooded bad... I got it started with 1 plug removed and then swapped them all out and all was fine again.

Last edited:
If it's flooded, you just floor it while cranking. With the throttle wide open, the PCM turns off the fuel injectors so that the normal breathing of the engine will very quickly clear out any excess fuel.

Steve

Back