• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

RWD transmission for Duratec V6?

Swazo

Hard-core CEG'er
I'm wondering if anyone knows of a RWD manual transmission the duratec V6 will mate up to? I know of David Godfrey's XR4Ti that has a 3L mated to a T5 (with a one off flywheel and bellhousing adapter plate...), but I'd like to find something that can adapt a bit more easily if I can.

TIA

Yeah, the 3L MT would work. I'll have to see how much power they can handle.

The RX7 trans had to be adpated. I'm looking for a straight across fitment with no mods or next to none.

Awesome, finally not a new guy coming on the forum and asking what V-12 twin turbo engine and AWD drive train can I add to my se contour.

Good luck

I'm pretty sure for it to be a direct bolt-up to the LS trans, you need to have the LS/S-type block.

I think whatever you want to use, will require a custom bellhousing or intermediate plate to allow things to bolt together.

I should be able to use the getrag 221 used by the LS/S-type. It shares the same pressure plate as the x-type, but they use different clutches.

I came across a guy who's converting an x-type to RWD, and it mated up to his 3L. Not 100% on X-types sharing the same bellhousing pattern as the Duratec V6's Contiques use. The 221 needs to be built to handle any decent power, but they do have upgrades that are available.

Hopefully I hear back from Godfrey about his sources to make the goodies to use a T5.....

Someone on NECO had found the AWD "transfer case" from the Euro Mondeo and it shows our trans have all the holes and such to bolt it up. Of course I can't find the thread right now, because the forums are STILL down over there. :(

Pictures of the AWD stuff (Oh, I wonder why I have this)
Compliments of drewmanfu0 @ NECO

BTW it costs around $600 dollars via boat to the port of DC (wait.. I live in DC..) from englands port to send a 4x4 mondeo ghia. Oh, and when you get the ghia for $600 it seals the deal. Of course, this is just "imaginary" importing. The rear end can handle 200 ft/lbs, with the power distribution of 60/40 F/R respectively it will never see that from a 3L. Besides, if you want more, im sure Terry will be happy to do some HMS rear-end work..

Rear subframe, note similarities
image-upload-13-728472.jpg

image-upload-16-740666.jpg

I mean, I GUESS you can settle for AWD, its not RWD, but I wouldn't be splitting hairs here :)

Thanks for the look out, but I'm avoiding anything transveresed mounted (which is why I didn't post thins in the transaxel forum and not sure why this was moved there.... but what do I know?)

Last edited:
Someone on NECO had found the AWD "transfer case" from the Euro Mondeo and it shows our trans have all the holes and such to bolt it up. Of course I can't find the thread right now, because the forums are STILL down over there. :(

Visteon was the company that makes the AWD system for the Duratec's used in the Jags and Mondeo's.

Wow, thanks Pope! I'd be open to the idea of using a Duratec 2.3 in a few different RWD setups :ponder:

Imagine a late model "SVO" type Mustang :drool: X100

Back