• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

what next

NO! Leave it on there!! Performance gains are nil and you just end up with a louder car. It's not a good thing. Trust me. I drive a loud car.

Your telling me removing the resonator adds nil performance :help:

Is that what your saying?

Your telling me removing the resonator adds nil performance :help:

Is that what your saying?

Do you have dyno tests done back to back on a car with and without resonators? Do you have hard, solid facts to back up what "your" saying?

I'm saying (from experience) that running headers and stock mufflers without a resonator sucks, especially when you consider that the performance gains are minimal at best. I'd willingly give up 5hp (most likely more than is restricted by the resonator) if it meant my car was quieter and less raspy.

Do you have dyno tests done back to back on a car with and without resonators? Do you have hard, solid facts to back up what "your" saying?

I'm saying (from experience) that running headers and stock mufflers without a resonator sucks, especially when you consider that the performance gains are minimal at best. I'd willingly give up 5hp (most likely more than is restricted by the resonator) if it meant my car was quieter and less raspy.

Look its simple so let me explain before you start throwing out the show me proof bla bla bla.

The tubing used on the contour is 2 1/4 before the resonator, the tubing shrinks to 2inch then it enters into a really bad baffled resonator that is too restrictive. The the exit is yet again 2inches which then goes up to 2 1/4.

SO here is your dyno proof, now take a walk

wheelsizecomparison.jpg

I'd willingly give up 5hp (most likely more than is restricted by the resonator) if it meant my car was quieter and less raspy.

But what I'm saying is why not use a high flow resonator while you're going through the work of removing the stock one. You pick up power AND the engine will still sound good.

Look its simple so let me explain before you start throwing out the show me proof bla bla bla.

The tubing used on the contour is 2 1/4 before the resonator, the tubing shrinks to 2inch then it enters into a really bad baffled resonator that is too restrictive. The the exit is yet again 2inches which then goes up to 2 1/4.

SO here is your dyno proof, now take a walk

http://www.ctamotorsports.com/gtadynofiles/wheelsizecomparison.jpg

Except more changes were made than just the resonator, so it's actually no proof at all. And even so: 2 horsepower! Woah! I bet that thing barely stayed on the dyno! Did they have to add a few more straps to hold it down? The $/hp for that mod is pretty terrible, not to mention headers, y-pipe, and no resonator sounds awful.

And even so: 2 horsepower! Woah! I bet that thing barely stayed on the dyno!
You said the gains would be nill... he is showing you proof that you were wrong. Disagree if you want, or just take your medicine, but don't hate. Besides, you're comparing peak numbers. Look at the area above the curve. The gains are solid throughout the power band and from my experiences, that amount of improvement is enough to feel... even if it only added 2 peak HP.

Wow man just wow. Okay fine i will explain it to you even more

Geez your killing me with your dumb argument!!!!

2 peak hp but thats compared to adding a resonator over not having one. Look at the graph dyno# 1 was no resonator then on dyno #2 they installed an aftermarket resonator.
Sooooo they had a minus of 2 hp and 4tq after adding a high flow resonator.

Now add that restrictive stock resonator over a magnaflow straight through resonator. Do you really think it would be the same power output?

Seriously think about this. Damn dude, just because your car sounded like AZZZ doesn't mean its a bad power mod.

You said the gains would be nill... he is showing you proof that you were wrong. Disagree if you want, or just take your medicine, but don't hate. Besides, you're comparing peak numbers. Look at the area above the curve. The gains are solid throughout the power band and from my experiences, that amount of improvement is enough to feel... even if it only added 2 peak HP.

I apologize for being unclear. I should have said minimal. As I said before, I'd gladly give up 5hp if my car sounded better, and I am working on getting a resonator installed.

And even so, more than just the resonator was changed, so that dyno plot doesn't count. You can't change more than one variable if you expect to prove the effects of a single mod.

lol I am not sure what is happening in this thread but guys please keep it to pm's as I am trying to get some good info hear. btw to the guys who said mirk+suspension=3L I know but like I stated before my car has too low of milage and runs to well to be taking the motor out, maybe sometime down the road.

Ron we are trying to help you :)

We want you to know that removing the resonator will add power :)

lol sure harry whatever you say. well im definetly getting the res removed, now I just gotta find someone locally who wants to help me install some headers, I would but I don't have any tools!

Start with the body work. Fix the things that are wrong before you worry about things like a mirko, which is overrated in my opinion anyhow. Go with the headers second :)

Back