• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

cant find replacement motor mount

That to me still sounds like the front RR replacement that he used on the rear. But I did miss that part about advanced auto...... old eyes..... LOL

well if that is the case i dont see how it would work as the front one is like half the diameter of the rear. i doubt it.

does anyone know what the round metal thing is thats next to the rear mount? :shrug: its pretty heavy. i removed it to see what it was, round black metal thing with bolt trough middle. i thought it might be a replacement mount or something cause it was about the same size, but once i got it out its too big and really heavy. is this needed? some kinda balancing device for the subframe? it attaches to the rear subframe and to me seems like its just a weight of some kind.

i've looked under a bunch of tours, and what you describe doesn't ring a bell. Your car being a rod shifter has some items that most other cars don't, but there is no extra parts stored under there, at worst maybe something is broken...

Just for clarification the engine and transmission are supported at each fender by motor mount, and a transmission mount. The torq roll is restricted by the front and rear roll restrictors. These are not mounts. Your pic that started this looks to be the transmission mount. I don't have the program to scale down the many pics I have of these to be able to post them.

i know what he is talking about. its just bolted to the subframe, to the right of the rear roll resistor. i dont think anyone is really sure what it is exactly but the best guess is its just an extra mass to keep something (subframe?) from vibrating and making noise.

i've looked under a bunch of tours, and what you describe doesn't ring a bell. Your car being a rod shifter has some items that most other cars don't, but there is no extra parts stored under there, at worst maybe something is broken...

Just for clarification the engine and transmission are supported at each fender by motor mount, and a transmission mount. The torq roll is restricted by the front and rear roll restrictors. These are not mounts. Your pic that started this looks to be the transmission mount. I don't have the program to scale down the many pics I have of these to be able to post them.

yeah its soo wierd i have no idea what it could be. its fully intact, doesnt look like it is supposed to connect to anything. it weighs a good 5 lbs. its held up to the subframe with 3 bolts, one through the middle of it and 2 off the side with a bracket. it looks like a roller but didnt spin until i started to loosen it, then it spun freely. seems like solid metal with a rubber outside.

i know all the differences in the mounts/roll restrictors. i may just say mount cuz its easier to say lol. i have been working on cars since i was 15 (almost 20years now) and i have no idea what this could have been used for unless just as a balance or something. or maybe like you said something is missing though i dont know what it could possible be missing. its not even close to the manual shift linkage or trans, its near the flex pipe.

the first pic is the rear roll restrictor off of my car. second pic is a pic of a trans mount off of rockauto. i put it up as a comparison.

i know what he is talking about. its just bolted to the subframe, to the right of the rear roll resistor. i dont think anyone is really sure what it is exactly but the best guess is its just an extra mass to keep something (subframe?) from vibrating and making noise.

ah ha!! i knew it! lol. so i have it off right now do i have to put it back on? lol

i would say leave it off and see if you notice anything. i honestly cant believe that it would have a major effect on anything. if you do notice something, its not hard to throw the car up in the air and bolt it back on.

i would say leave it off and see if you notice anything. i honestly cant believe that it would have a major effect on anything. if you do notice something, its not hard to throw the car up in the air and bolt it back on.

yeah problem is im going from bad roll restrictors to good ones so that may affect the difference. im going to leave it off as i feel it is not needed and is just another part to get in the way and i know for sure it adds weight.

thats weird, my rear roll resistor looks like the post 98's i think

like solid swiss cheese?

ok well i have been driving with the replacement mount the past few days. seems slighly better, really not much. im almost positive now that it is the pass side motor mount that is bad. looks like i have to cough up $45 for one.

also i cant tell a single difference with that weight thing removed. seems just like before only slightly less movement in the shifter.

thats weird, my rear roll resistor looks like the post 98's i think

Our '95s had a different type of rear RR then the later pre-98s did... They did not have any spaces for a possible insert like the one the OP posted, but rather they were "solid" (well, the inner part of the mount was still hollow) rubber...

If it looks like solid "swiss cheese" like Hourang said, then your mount must have been replaced...

I have a '95, and it's the "swiss cheese" type...just like my 98.5 SVT. The only difference is the mount on the '95 is aluminum, were as the SVT is not.

I have a '95, and it's the "swiss cheese" type...just like my 98.5 SVT. The only difference is the mount on the '95 is aluminum, were as the SVT is not.
It is a replacement one. All the new ford ones are like that. I have one of those that I got off a 97 car at the JY it was new! That is now on my 99. Even though some looked different I believe they are all the same. Best solution actually is to get an old one and poly fill it using a two part urithane. Some like the 94a or the 80a, I happen to think they are too hard as they transmitt a lot of vibrations to the interior of the car. I now use 60a or 70a. The 70a is on the agenda for the next pour I do, it is a special mix.

It is a replacement one. All the new ford ones are like that. I have one of those that I got off a 97 car at the JY it was new! That is now on my 99. Even though some looked different I believe they are all the same. Best solution actually is to get an old one and poly fill it using a two part urithane. Some like the 94a or the 80a, I happen to think they are too hard as they transmitt a lot of vibrations to the interior of the car. I now use 60a or 70a. The 70a is on the agenda for the next pour I do, it is a special mix.

I thought it could be a replacement, but I just got the car several months ago with no history, so I could not be certain. It did look quite clean though when I took it off. My plan is to poly-fill both my RRs, one with 80A and one with 60A, but right now I'm running an Aluminum filled RR I got off Frosty in my DD '95 zetec.

Back